Summary: Our choice is to go through calamities and trials with God or without Him, but go through them we must. Still, it helps to understand what we can of the "whys and wherefores."
Disasters, Calamities and Evil in the World: Is God Asleep at the Switch?
1. As a pastor, one of my most challenging responsibilities is to comfort the grieving. People can suffer in horrible ways.
2.The earthquake & tsunami that hit Japan killed thousands and left lives in shambles. It resurrects a question I have heard countless times, How can a good God allow this?
3. Recent tragedies: Friends lose a child to an accident/disease; a child dies from abuse.
4. These situations are differ. Some result fromf human choice. Others are "acts of God. "
6. If God is good, if God is all-powerful, and God knows all things, why do such seemingly random disasters take place? Do they take God by surprise, as some assert? Has God created the universe and then left, as some of our Found Fathers believed?
Or is he not really there? Or is he not really good?
7. Who among us has not asked this question? Unless your head is buried in the sand, this question first came to you as a child or perhaps a teen. It is obvious.
Main Idea: Our choice is to go through calamities and trials with God or without Him, but go through them we must. Still, it helps to understand what we can of the "whys and wherefores."
I. God Takes RESPONSIBILITY for Disasters (Isaiah 45:7)
A. Disasters Reveal God’s Wrath (Romans 1:18-20)
Looking at it from another angle, "If God is holy and demands justice, why does he allow sinners to enjoy life at all?"
B. God takes the blame for DISASTER and HANDICAPS
Isaiah 45:7, "I form the light and create darkness, I bring prosperity and create disaster;
I, the LORD, do all these things…"
Exodus 4:11, "The LORD said to him, ’Who gave human beings their mouths? Who makes them deaf or mute? Who gives them sight or makes them blind? Is it not I, the LORD? ’"
Colossians 1:21, "Once you were alienated from God and were enemies in your minds because of your evil behavior."
Have you ever noticed that the same people who do not bother to give thanks and praise for God’s blessings are the first to express their disgust at him when disaster strikes?
Jesus predicted there would be many wars and earthquakes throughout the age, and that they would worsen in the end times. Revelation talks about the horrible plagues that will make life on earth miserable during the Great Tribulation. Biblical Christianity has always been married to a God who brings disaster. Sadly, many professing Christians have recreated God and Christianity to be more to their liking.
II. Disasters Result from the CURSE (Romans 8:18-23)
Romans 8:18-23, "I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us. For the creation waits in eager expectation for the children of God to be revealed. For the creation was subjected to frustration, not by its own choice, but by the will of the one who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself will be liberated from its bondage to decay and brought into the freedom and glory of the children of God.