Summary: Part 8 of this series examines the life of Noah in great detail; showing us that what God found in Noah is what He seeks in us as well. We are encouraged to live righteous, blameless, and walk faithfully with Him.
Discovering Genesis, Part 8
IMPORTANT: Prayer Walk on Wednesday, October 19, 6:30 pm – BE HERE!
- Last week, we set up the foundation for what mankind had done
- Simply stated, we provoked God’s wrath through disobedience and rebellion
- God sent men like Enoch and Noah to preach to them; but still they rebelled
- God brought great conviction through this lineage (Gen 5); but nothing changed
- God talks about wiping man off the earth, like a bug from your windshield
-- This is man’s punishment, and what we deserve b/c of a righteous God
-- God cannot be righteous and wink at your sin
-- God cannot be merciful and not demand your repentance
-- God cannot be holy and allow you to continue to sin in His presence
- Then, along come a man named Noah who found grace in God’s eyes
- Noah was not a “crowd favorite”; nor was he a man that others loved
- Noah was a just man — Justified before God by faith in the promised seed; for he was an heir of the righteousness which is by faith
- Hebrews 11:7 “By faith Noah, when warned about things not yet seen, in holy fear built an ark to save his family. By his faith he condemned the world and became heir of the righteousness that is in keeping with faith.”
- In these next two parts we are going to do more than talk about a bunch of rain
- We are going to do more than talk about the salvation of everyone through Noah
- Let’s be honest here church, we know that story / we know about the boat
- This morning, the Lord has impressed on me to study what we might miss
- Read Genesis 6:9-10
Point 1 – Examining Noah’s Life (9)
- (v9) Could there be anything greater said about any man or woman today?
-- There are three things I want us to see from this before we get into the Ark
-- I believe, if you want to live for God you will see these and do a gut check
-- It is in times like these that God is seeking servants who live like this
- “Noah was a righteous man”
- The life that Noah lived was one that was totally committed to living for God
- We discussed last week that there he was NOT the people’s choice for living
- He was not the one you wanted at your parties of debauchery / wickedness
- Noah was a man who lived completely for the Lord in everything he did
- It is because of His life, and his obedience to God, that he was found righteous
- When it comes to righteousness, how are we measuring up today?
- IMP: Do we wear the title of being righteous as something owed to us?
- So, we must honestly ask ourselves … what is the only way to have it?
- 2 Cor 5:21, “For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.”
- In short, there is NOTHING you can EVER do to gain righteousness today
- It must be something that is given to you by and through the death of Christ
- The death of Christ on the cross is the only thing that brings righteousness today
- Many want to live under the premise that their way is the only way