Summary: The life of Jesus is the greatest example we have of how we should conduct ourselves as Christians. Jesus was both celebrated and ridiculed. Today we will discuss what to do when this happens to us by looking at the life and ministry of Jesus as our example.
LUKE 4:23-27, 35
• The life of Jesus is the greatest example we have of how we should conduct ourselves as Christians. Jesus was both celebrated and ridiculed.
• Not everyone will celebrate you! Some will mock and ridicule you. They did the same thing to Jesus even at the beginning of His ministry! (Those who should have been celebrating with Him and helping Him were ridiculing Him)
• Today we will discuss what to do when this happens to us by looking at the life and ministry of Jesus as our example.
I. Brush It Off
A. There will always be those who question the call of God upon your life.
1. Some will base their questions on your heritage. (Is not this Joseph’s son?)
2. Some will just try to detract, obstruct and resist because of their own personal pride. They will say things like, “Well, you’re no better than me.” or “Just who do you think you are?”
B. Physician Heal Thyself… - Luke 4:23
1. Jesus was aware that there were unspoken feelings of ridicule in the room. He exposed their thoughts and defended Himself. His mockers and scoffers became enraged and wanted Him dead. Sound Familiar? Demon spirits are so predictable!
2. Have you ever felt the “unspoken opposition?” Jesus dealt with that.
a) Brush it off!
b) The “Call of God” is to important to get twisted up in fleshly games.
• I’ve learned that I have a choice. Focus on what matters or entertain the drama. I choose FOCUS!
II. Exit - He passing through the midst of them
A. Jesus said His piece and they wanted to throw Him over a cliff! - Luke 4:29
1. Some will become angry with you when God unveils the intent of their hearts through discernment.
2. Don’t listen to the background noise. FOCUS FORWARD!
• YOU DON’T HAVE TO ANSWER EVERY CRITIC!
B. Not everyone is intended to be with you forever.
1. There are seasons in life. Some are assigned for a season.
2. Some people are scaffolding people. WE CELEBRATE THEM!
3. Some are obstructionist. THEY NEED DELIVERANCE!
a) Always remember - GOD KEEPS A RECORD. (Let God handle them and make your “Exit”)
C. Jesus exited the scene. - Luke 4:30
1. Quit working for the approval of people who do not believe in you.
2. Quit trying to prove yourself to people who will never respect the call that God has placed on your life.
3. When you exit and God takes you higher… DON’T GO BACK!
4. Open your heart to those who believe in you and the call of God on your life and pour into them.
5. Jesus addresses this in Matthew 7:1-6
• Matthew 7:6 Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.
III. Refocus - Live out your purpose (Jesus continued being about His Fathers business)
A. The next account we have of Jesus is Him casting the devil out of a man. - Luke 4:31-37
1. Jesus left where they were trying to throw Him over a cliff and went and cast the devil out of a man in the Synagogue in Capernaum.
2. The people of Capernaum (not Nazareth) were astonished at His doctrine because His word was with power.
B. Some of you have wondered why God has moved you to (Florida) away from your family and friends. Let’s let the RED LETTERS answer that.
Luke 4:24 And he said, Verily I say unto you, No prophet is accepted in his own country.
1. A person’s hometown will always limit them.
2. Jesus went to Capernaum and look at the people’s response!
• Luke 4:32 And they were astonished at his doctrine: for his word was with power.
• Luke 4:36 And they were all amazed, and spake among themselves, saying, What a word is this! for with authority and power he commandeth the unclean spirits, and they come out.
• Luke 4:37 And the fame of him went out into every place of the country round about.
C. If God moved you here, get off the sidelines and get busy doing what God has called you to do!
1. ITS TIME TO REFOCUS!
2. Quit listening to what the naysayers have said about you and hear what God IS saying about you?
• God has a great plan for your life but He needs your cooperation to get it done!
• Realize that you are living under DIVINE ASSIGNMENT!
• Its time to break free from the limitations of your past
• Break free from other’s bad opinions about you
• Be like Jesus!
• Make your declaration