Summary: God has given us 3 divine missions.
After Jesus resurrected from the dead, God gave us a proof that He is alive physically. Since Jesus commissioned His disciples to make disciples, the gospel has been preached all around the world. There is a tremendous urgency when it comes to carry out the Great Commission. One of the reasons our children and youth are vital to this church is because they are ripe for the gospel. They have not become "set in their ways". In this lesson, we will find in Matthew 28 that the Christ has given His disciples, even to us in the present age, the three divine aspects in the story of the great commission.
I. Divine Authority
● MATTHEW 28:16-19 ESV— "Now the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain to which Jesus had directed them. And when they saw him they worshiped him, but some doubted. 18 And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in[a] the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.."
● LUKE 10:19 ESV — "Behold, I have given you authority to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall hurt you."
II. Divine Task
● MATTHEW 28:19-20a ESV — "Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you."
● MARK 16:15 ESV — "And he said to them, “Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation."
III. Divine Promise
● MATTHEW 28:20b ESV — “And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”