Summary: The sermon encourages the believers to do something based on video of Matthew West on utube. Take up a servant mentality, do something its whosoever will, do something by carrying, do something follow.
Do something take it up , Your Cross Mark 8 34
While at the WV annual conference our Bishop showed us a video of Matthew West singing his song “Do Something”. Her sermon encouraged the clergy in the WV conference to do something no matter how small just do something. We have been planning a mission trip to do two Vacation Bible Schools in McDowell County. I shared the video on utube to the work team members. They loved it so we decided to do a video of us working and doing the VBS with the song “Do Something”. So today church I am going to show a video of our work team and VBS group at Welch and Thorpe UMC.
We all have some ability and we all can do something can’t we? Jesus invites us to do something consider the following text:
Text: Mark 8:34 “And when he had called the people unto him with his disciples also, he said unto them, Whosoever will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.”
1. Do Something is Taking UP a servant Mentality
I am going to do something be being available to take up whatsoever you desire Lord.
I am taking up Doing Something by Seeing the needs and responding with action
I am taking up Doing Something with what I got. It may not be the best but I can Do Something
2. Do something Involves Whosoever Will – John 3:16 “God so loved the world that whosoever believes in him”…
A. That means us, our neighbors, our friends, all are included, and God does not exclude any.
3. Doing something involves a key decision to Deny self
Titus 1:6 They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him,
A. Put God First, In Your Marriage, In Your Home , In Your Relationships
B. Get Self Out Of The Way
C. Selfish Desires
D. Do not Live In The Me Generation
E. What’s In It For Me?
4. Doing Something involves A Cross to Bear “I am Carrying”
• I am carrying Faith like Daniel morning, noon, and night I am carrying a prayer.
• I am carrying a cross because I want a be His Disciple
Luke 14:27 “And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple.”
• I am carrying an attitude of encouragement to all - Booker T. Washington said, “If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else.”
• The cross is I am Carrying the will of God. I am carrying love enough to do something
• To take up the cross is I am carrying a stand for the Lord Jesus no matter what it costs.
5. Doing something involves Following Jesus Mat. 4:19 “And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.”
The man with a cross no longer has his destiny in mind but his destiny is to create a better destiny for the other.
A. Make a life better that was our goal on the mission trip. “I have decided it to follow Jesus”
B. B. To Follow Means To Obey.
The title expression was used in a testimony meeting, following an evangelistic crusade in Brockton, Massachusetts, by Dwight Lyman Moody. A young man stood to speak, and it soon became clear he knew little Christian doctrine. But he finished by saying, “I’m not quite sure—but I’m going to trust, and I’m going to obey.” Daniel Towner, who was in the meeting, jotted down the words, and gave them to John Sammis, who developed the lyrics from them.