Summary: Caring about your church family
PSALM 142:1-7 "DO WE REALLY CARE?"
A) The Psalmist had come to the point that he wondered if anyone really cared about him!
* David was in the ditch of despair and in v.4, he expressed how he felt at this point in his life!
* If you were living in the days of King David, would you have been one of those of which
he spoke of in v.4 when he said, "No man cared for my soul?"
B) Have you ever been in a situation in which things just looked completely hopeless?
* And you looked around to others for help and concern, and then found out that they were
completely indifferent to your problem? * Maybe you thought or made the statement,
* "Doesn’t anyone care what happens to me, or what happens in my life?"
C) I’ve been there, and I’m sure that most of us have at one time or another!
* We are living in a generation of hurting people and they want to know that someone cares about
their lives and their eternal destiny! * Now, it’s obvious that God cares about us!
* When God had nearly finished the process of creation, He said, "Let us make man in ......."
D) Now if God made you in His image & after His likeness, then you are worth something!
* Doesn’t it make sense that if God made us in His image that we would have value?
* Even when man rebelled against God and sinned, God still cared and actually planned for
man’s forgiveness and reconciliation - John 3:16 "For God so loved the world ......."
* C.A.R.E. - Concerned about our needs ... Able to meet our needs ...
* Ready to meet our needs ... Enjoys supplying our needs!
E) It’s also obvious that Jesus cares! * Rom.5:8 "But God commendeth his love ......."
* He cares enough that He endured the cross, despising the shame - Heb.12:2
* So, we know that God cares, Jesus cares, the Holy Spirit cares, but do we really care?
F) To care means "to have thought or regard toward another, or to feel concern about!"
* Have you ever found yourself in the shoes of the Psalmist?
* Perhaps there have been those times that you wondered if anyone cares about you!
* How can we show people that we really care about them? * Three things .......
(1) BY OUR WORDS! * If you truly care about God’s people, you should tell them so!
* How long has it been since you told someone that you love them in & through the Lord?
A) It is not for us to assume that others know we love and appreciate them!
* It is our responsibility to verbally let them know we care!
* Husbands and wives ... Parents ... Children ... They need to hear it from you that you care ...!
B) The Apostle Paul was a man who let people know how much he cared for them!
* To the Philippians, he said in Phil.1:7 " ... I have you in my heart."
* To the Corinthians, he said in 2Cor.12:15 "And I will very gladly spend and be spent for
you; though the more abundantly I love you, the less I be loved."
* To the Thessalonians, he said in 1Thes.2:8 that "he was willing to depart his own soul to
them because they were dear to him." * Many other places in the Bible of Paul’s love .......
* So, make it a point to go out of your way to say, "I love you and I care about you!"