Summary: This series is based on John 3, "The Heart of the Gospel."
“DO YOU HAVE ETERNAL LIFE?” John 3:36
INTRO – Our society is consumed w/ the desire for possessions. We have a possession obsession! Have to have more. Have to have better. Have to have the latest of everything. People fighting each other as they crashed through the doors of department stores across the country this past Friday, which the retailers call “Black Friday.” Based on what I saw on the news, it should have been called “black and blue Friday.” The Playstation 3 – can you believe the hysteria over this thing? People sitting in lines for hours and hours to buy one of these things for about $600. Then b/c they know that so many people want to have this as one of their possessions, they can turn around and sell it for $1500-$2000. There was one recently listed on ebay $5,000!
A philosopher once said, “Whatever greed is hungry for, it always ends up wanting more.” See evidence of this all around us. Folks are not satisfied with what they have. Always wanting more, working for more, striving for more, sacrificing anything and everything for more, more, more. Definitely have an obsession with possessions.
There is one possession that we need to have an obsession about – that is eternal life. How awesome is it to know that we possess eternal life? Kind of makes the Playstation 3 become a little less important, doesn’t it?
The Scriptures give us some wonderful insights about this possession that we can have:
- Jesus’ conversation w/ the woman at the well in John 4:13-14 - "People soon become thirsty again after drinking this water. 14 But the water I give them takes away thirst altogether. It becomes a perpetual spring within them, giving them eternal life."
- John 5:24 - "I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life.
- John 10:27-28 - My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. 28 I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand.
- Rom. 6:23 - For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord.
- 1 Tim. 1:15-16 - Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners--of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his unlimited patience as an example for those who would believe on him and receive eternal life.
- 1 John 5:11-13 - And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. 12 He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life. 13 I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life.
What do we need to know about this wonderful possession called eternal life?
BELIEF BRINGS POSSESSION & LIFE
It means that we possess eternal life – “Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life…” Not just a nonchalant belief – “Yeah, I believe in Jesus,” like a kid would say, “I believe in Santa Claus.”
Word “believe” – pisteuo – means “to believe, have faith in, trust.” Same word that is used in John 3:15-16. It is a total devotion to Jesus Christ as Savior. A total trust in Him as Lord, Messiah, King, and Master. It is total and complete faith in Jesus as God’s Son, in the sacrifice that was made as the payment for our sins, in His death, burial, and resurrection. It is a total trust in Jesus as the only Way to obtain and possess eternal life.
So many in our world today are watering down the absolute truth of the Gospel. Many are trying to say that there are other ways to obtain eternal life. Heard one Hollywood star say just the other day that it really doesn’t matter what you believe as long as you are a spiritual person. While you and I may recoil against such a statement, there are hundreds of thousands of people who hold to just such a viewpoint. And not just in Hollywood!
The wonderful truth that we stand on today is that those who truly believe that Jesus is the Son of God, that His death paid the price for our sins, that His resurrection secured our salvation, and that belief in Him is the only way to secure the possession of eternal life – these are the ones who possess eternal life!