Summary: The beauty and glory of Christ
DO YOU KNOW MY JESUS
A. The author of the third Gospel never uses his own name, but through careful comparison of Scripture with Scripture we find that he was "Luke, the beloved physician" (Col. 4:14).
B. He was a close traveling companion of Paul from his second missionary journey on. (Acts 16:10, "we")
C. He was a man of culture and high academic training as a doctor, and faithfully ministered to Paul’s physical needs (II Tim. 4:9-16).
D. He was a historian of great intellect, writing in exquisite style and finished form in both his account of the Life of the LORD JESUS (The Gospel), and his account of the Apostle’s ministry (The Acts).
E. Though he was not an eyewitness to the events recorded in his Gospel, under inspiration of the Holy Spirit, he drew from eyewitness written and verbal accounts of JESUS’ life (1:12).
F. Through careful investigation he determined to write an orderly account of the life JESUS in order to provide a firm foundation for the faith of his friend Theophilus (whose name means "Friend of God"), a Roman official recently converted to Christ (1:4).
G. Though he covers essentially the same events as both Matthew and Mark, he does so from a different perspective:
+ Matthew presents JESUS as King of the Jews
+ Mark presents JESUS as the Servant of Jehovah
+ Luke presents JESUS as the Perfect Man.
+ Matthew emphasizes what JESUS said
+ Mark emphasizes what JESUS did
+ Luke emphasizes who JESUS is.
H. Luke presents the perfect humanity of Christ’s nature in both the teachings and activity of JESUS. Among the aspects of this perfect humanity are:
+ Christ’s human dependence of prayer
+ Christ’s human need for the Holy Spirit
+ Christ’s universal concern for humanity
+ Christ’s human poverty
+ Christ’s human sympathies
I. Just as Luke wanted to introduce his friend to JESUS, I want to do the same for you today. DO YOU KNOW HIM?
- I want you to meet JESUS the King;
+ JESUS is King of Jews,
+ King of Israel,
+ King of the Ages,
+ King of Heaven,
+ King of Glory,
+ King of Kings, & Lord of Lords.
- The heavens declare His glory, and the firmament showeth His handiwork.
- He is the first and the Last; the Alpha & Omega, A & Z, He is the Firstfruit of them that slept; The I AM THAT I AM! The voice of the burning bush. The Captain of the Lord’s host. The conqueror of Jericho.
- By Him were all things made that were made, and without Him was nothing made. And by Him all things are held together. In Him was the fullness of the Godhead bodily.
- He is the Very God of Very God; our Kinsman Redeemer; our Avenger of blood; our City of refuge, our performing High Priest, our personal Prophet, and our reigning King.
- He is enduringly strong, entirely sincere, eternally steadfast, immortally graceful, imperially powerfully, impartially mercifully.
- He stands alone in Himself, He is August, He is Preeminent Supreme, and Unparralled.
- He is the loftiest Idea in Literature; the Highest personality in Philosophy; the Fundamental doctrine in Theology; and the Supreme problem in Higher Criticism.