Summary: Simeon was one who was blessed to see the Christ Child. Both his character and desire produced his reward. If we are to see Christ we need to have these qualities in our lives.
DO YOU SEE HIM?
Introduction: We’ve all heard the slogan: “Jesus the reason for the season.” But while millions see the tinsel and the holiday lights, few see Him for Whom the holiday is held. When Christ was born in Bethlehem, few saw the Messiah though His coming had been prophesied again and again. It is sad to say but today scores of believers have lost sight of Christ and many have forgotten the reality of His promised imminent return. Simeon was one who was blessed to see the Christ Child. Both his character and desire produced his reward. If we are to see Christ we need to have these qualities in our lives.
I. Simeon’s Character
A. Luke 2:25 “And behold, there was a man in Jerusalem whose name was Simeon, and this man was just and devout and the Holy Spirit was upon him.”
B. Just – (Gr.) Dikaios
1. righteous, observing divine laws
2. In a broad sense it meant to be upright and virtuous, keeping the commands of God
3. The righteous person, according to John Wesley: "His heart is ever lifted up to God at all times and in all places. In this he is never hindered, much less interrupted, by any person or thing. In retirement or company, in leisure, business, or conversation, his heart is ever with the Lord. Whether he lie down or rise up, God is in all his thoughts; he walks with God continually, having the loving eye of his mind still fixed upon Him, and everywhere ’seeing him that is invisible.’" - John Wesley
4. Titus 2:11-12 “For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men, teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly in the present age”
5. When German philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche was asked what it would take for him to believe in Jesus Christ, he replied: "His disciples will have to look more ’saved’ if I am to believe in their Savior."
6. "Live so that when you tell someone you are a Christian, it confirms their suspicions instead of surprising them." - Source: Pulpit Helps, 9/1990
1. (Gr) Eulabes - taking hold well , carefully and surely
2. To be devout means to have an exclusive dedication to God
3. 1 Kings 8:60-61 “So that all the peoples of the earth may know that the LORD is God; there is no one else let your heart therefore be wholly devoted to the LORD our God, to walk in His statutes and to keep His commandments, as at this day.”
4. I’m part of the fellowship of the unashamed. I have stepped over the line. The decision has been made. I’m a disciple of Jesus Christ. I won’t look back, let up, slow down, back away, or be still. My past is redeemed, my present makes sense, and my future is secure. I’m finished and done with low living, sight walking, small planning, smooth knees, colorless dreams, tamed visions, mundane talking, cheap living, and dwarfed goals. I no longer need preeminence, prosperity, position, promotions, plaudits, or popularity. I don’t have to be right, first, tops, recognized, praised, regarded, or rewarded. I now live by faith, lean on His presence, walk by patience, lift by prayer, and labor by power. My face is set, my gait is fast, my goal is heaven, my road is narrow, my way rough, my companions few, my Guide reliable, my mission clear. I cannot be bought, deluded, or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of the adversary, negotiate at the table of the enemy, or meander in the maze of mediocrity. I won’t give up, shut up, let up, until I have stayed up, stored up, prayed up, paid up, and preached up for the cause of Christ. I am a disciple of Jesus. I must go till He comes, give till I drop, preach till all know, and work till He stops me. And when He comes for His own, He will have no problem recognizing me—my banner will be clear! -email@example.com
5. Proverbs 20:25 “It is a snare for a man to devote rashly something as holy, And afterward to reconsider his vows.”
D. Spirit-led – the Holy Spirit was upon him
1. Romans 8:14 “For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God.”
2. Those with a deep passion for God are controlled and led by the Spirit of God. One of the greatest benefits of being saved is the privilege of being led by the Spirit of God.
3. Paraphrasing Ephesians 5:18 we are told “Don’t be drunk with wine, because that will ruin your life. Instead, be controlled, filled and led by the Holy Spirit.”