Summary: This is the first in a Christmas series looking at prophecies of Christ. This first one includes phrophecies recorded by Moses.
Do You See What I See?
Do You See What Moses Saw?
Genesis 3:15; 22:18; 49:10
November 30, 2003
A. [You’re Not God, Citation: Laura Lee Allen, Daytona Beach Shores, FL, Christian Reader, "Lite Fare."]
During Sunday school, our pastor, who was teaching the adult class, selected a middle-aged couple to act out the burning bush scene from the Old Testament. The husband was asked to supply the voice for God and his wife would read Moses’ lines.
All went well until they got to verse 15. The wife, as Moses, mistook her husband’s dialogue for her own and read, "Say to the Israelites, ’The Lord, the God of your fathers--’"
The pastor interrupted her. "Wait a minute. You’re not God."
Without missing a beat, her husband deadpanned, "I’ve been trying to tell her that for 18 years."
B. This has been a great year in our study of God’s Word together!
1. We started our study of 1 Corinthians on January 5.
2. We had a few special sermons for Palm Sunday, Easter, and the fourth of July.
3. We finished 1 Corinthians on August 3.
4. We started the OT book of Nehemiah on August 10 and ended on September 28.
5. We then moved to a topical series that I called, “Lesson on Faith from the Lord’s Model Prayer.”
6. That study began on October 5 and ended two weeks ago on November 16.
7. We had a special Thanksgiving Worship service last Sunday.
8. Today, we begin a Christmas series that will run the next four weeks.
9. This series is called, “Do You See What I See?”
10. Each week we will look at some prophecies that were made by OT prophets about the coming Messiah.
11. Today we are going to look at three prophecies of Christ recorded by Moses.
12. It is entitled, “Do You See What Moses Saw?”
13. We will look at three prophecies about Christ that Moses made.
14. The next three sermons will be in a similar vein, leaving one sermon on December 28, which is yet to be determined.
15. So that means we spent seven months on 1 Corinthians, seven weeks on Nehemiah, seven weeks on Faith, and four weeks on Christmas; plus Palm Sunday, Easter, fourth of July, and New Year’s.
16. It has been a very good year in our study of God’s Word together!
17. So today let’s see if we can see what Moses saw…
I. Moses saw that this Baby would save all nations.
Genesis 3:15 (NIV), And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers; he will crush your head, and you will strike his heel."
A. Now of course, Moses did not make this prediction, nor was he even there when it was made.
1. But the HS revealed it to Moses, just like He revealed every other prophecy.
2. The HS revealed it to Moses who wrote this prophecy down and recorded it as the Word of God in this book that we now call, “Genesis.”
B. Now let’s look at the specifics of this prophecy because I know some of you are wondering how in the world this could have anything to do with Christ…
1. First God said to the snake (Satan) “I will put enmity (hatred) between you (Satan) and the woman (Eve and womankind)…
2. Furthermore, God said that he would put enmity (hatred) between his offspring (his demons) and hers (her descendents and one descendent specifically), he (that one specific descendent, Jesus) will crush your (Satan’s) head (by rising from the dead), and you (Satan) will strike his (Christ’s) heel (by crucifying Him).