Summary: Has divine healing been done away with, was it only for the early church?
Does Healing Belong To Us?
The question that many Christians have today is, does healing belong to us as it did to the early church? There are 3 basic beliefs on the subject of healing in the modern Christian church.
1. Many believe healing has been done away with, that it was only for the early church and not for us today. This is probably the most wide spread belief.
2. Many believe God does heal as He sees fit, or by some special divine act, or some special faith.
3. The last basic group believes healing belongs to us as part of the atonement of Christ in the redemptive plan of God, along with the remission of sins.
These are the 3 main attitudes toward healing in the body of Christ today. The question becomes if the 3rd is right, how could the 2nd be right as well? Many Christians have received divine healing or know someone who did, if this is true, why is not healing a part of the completed work of our Lord Jesus Christ. Does God play favorites? Does He heal based on His whim? Or is He truly no respecter of Persons as His Word says He is? Is He truly the same yesterday today and forever?
Lets take a look at the Word of God for the answers to these questions!
Psalms 103:1. Bless the Lord, O my soul; And all that is within me, bless His holy name!
2. Bless the Lord, O my soul, And forget not all His benefits:
3. Who forgives all your iniquities, Who heals all your diseases,
4. Who redeems your life from destruction, Who crowns you with lovingkindness and tender mercies,
5. Who satisfies your mouth with good things, So that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s.
6. The Lord executes righteousness And justice for all who are oppressed.
Even in the Old Testament we see that His benefits include both forgiveness and healing.
My question is has God changed in His attitude toward healing the sick?
Malachi 3:6. "For I am the Lord, I do not change; therefore you are not consumed, O sons of Jacob.
The Lord God Himself says I do not change. Aren’t you glad He doesn’t?
I think it is fair to say if the Bible teaches divine healing, it would be safe to teach even if we didn’t know of one single case of healing. But at some point in time we have to come to the realization that God’s Word is true. We have to believe in the divine truth of God’s Word.
Exodus 15:26. and said, "If you diligently heed the voice of the Lord your God and do what is right in His sight, give ear to His commandments and keep all His statutes, I will put none of the diseases on you which I have brought on the Egyptians. For I am the Lord who heals you.’’
Exodus 23:25. "So you shall serve the Lord your God, and He will bless your bread and your water. And I will take sickness away from the midst of you.
If the attitude God had towards healing was for the children of Israel to be whole in the Old Testament, how much more now? Good question. If this was true then, and it was true according to His Word, how much more now! I believe we need to get some light on this subject. The Word teaches the entrance of his Word gives light, and understanding to the simple. (Ps. 119:130.)