Summary: A Message to Christians
Does it Pay to Pray?
“And he spake a parable unto them to this end, that men ought always to pray, and not to faint;”
What is Prayer? A Talk with God – Gen 3:10
Prayer is a Commandment
· Eph 6:18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;
· 1Th 5:17 Pray without ceasing.
· Mat 26:41 Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.
· 1Ch 16:11 Seek the LORD and his strength, seek his face continually.
Ways to Pray
· Bow - Exo 34:8 And Moses made haste, and bowed his head toward the earth, and worshipped.
· Kneel - Psa 95:6 O come, let us worship and bow down: let us kneel before the LORD our maker.
· On your Face - Num 20:6 And Moses and Aaron went from the presence of the assembly unto the door of the tabernacle of the congregation, and they fell upon their faces: and the glory of the LORD appeared unto them.
· Stand - Mar 11:25 And when ye stand praying, forgive, if ye have ought against any: that your Father also which is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses.
· Secret - Mat 6:6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.
· Daily - Dan 6:10 Now when Daniel knew that the writing was signed, he went into his house; and his windows being open in his chamber toward Jerusalem, he kneeled upon his knees three times a day, and prayed, and gave thanks before his God, as he did aforetime.
· All Night - Luk 6:12 And it came to pass in those days, that he went out into a mountain to pray, and continued all night in prayer to God.
How Do I Pray - Luk 6:12 And it came to pass in those days, that he went out into a mountain to pray, and continued all night in prayer to God.
Luk 18:10 Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.
Luk 18:11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.
Luk 18:12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.
Luk 18:13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.
Luk 18:14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.
Wrong Motive –
Place - Loving to pray: Only in synagogues, Streets
Reason - For Recognition
Reward - Man’s Esteem
Right Motive –
Place – Private
Reason – God is one’s secret/ private place
Reward – Will receive open blessings
3 Rules of Prayer
#1 Don’t use empty repetitions
#2 Don’t use much speech
#3 Trust God
He Hears you
He knows your needs
He desires to hear from you