Summary: It is because of God's mercy that Paul pleads for believers to present themselves as living sacrifices to God. What follows that plea is a description of a holy, dedicated life.
ROMANS 12:1 (AMPLIFIED BIBLE)
I APPEAL to you therefore, brethren, and beg of you in view of [all] the mercies of God, to make a decisive dedication of your bodies [presenting all your members and faculties] as a living sacrifice, holy (devoted, consecrated) and well pleasing to God, which is your reasonable (rational, intelligent) service and spiritual worship.
1) Paul did not simply command—He appealed, encouraged, and in this even in this context Begged and pleaded for God’s people to live as holy Sacrifices to God.
2) Paul made this appeal BECAUSE of God’s mercy. On one hand—some folks say if God is merciful we can continue living sinfully and still maintain our salvation—however, Paul insisted in strong bold terms that the proper response, the reasonable response, the BEST response to God’s Mercy was to live a holy life!
3) A Holy life offered in Sacrifice to God finds its place in service (SEE VERSES 3-8) by using its spiritual gift in the church.
4) A Holy life Offered in sacrifice is demonstrated through Acts of Sacrifice that demonstrate love for the brethren (See Verses 9-13)
5) A Holy Life offered in Sacrifice is Demonstrated by a Peaceful Attitude and a Peaceful response towards those who do you wrong. (See Verses 14-21)
Too often we allow others to push out buttons and then we say that they made us angry. Our anger is our choice.. nobody can make you angry. When we respond to the wrongdoing of others in anger we usually destroy our witness, our relationship and ruin any hope of moving forward in a right way. I'd like to share this poem I read this week about anger, because it says exactly what I have learned over the years:
When I have lost my temper
I have lost my reason, too.
I’m never proud of anything
Which angrily I do
When I have talked in anger
And my cheeks are flaming read
I have always uttered something
That I wish I hadn’t said
In anger I have never done
A Kindly deed, or wise
But many things for which I know
I should apologize
In looking back across my life
And all I’ve lost or made,
I can’t recall a single timeH?n
When fury ever paid
6) A Holy Life Offered in Sacrifice is not overcome by Evil, but uses its holy mindset to overcome evil with righteous living.