Summary: What they had received that day, they knew it was way to important, for them to keep it to their selves. That’s why at nine in the morning, they were taking it to the streets. It was history right there in the making, The power of God was amazing
“Don’t downplay,” What you have been given!
Acts 2:1-8, 12-18 NKJ.
1. When the Day of Pentecost had fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.
2. And suddenly there came a sound from heaven, as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting.
3. Then there appeared to them divided tongues, as of fire, and one sat upon each of them.
4. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
5. And there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men, from every nation under heaven.
6. And when this sound occurred, the multitude came together, and were confused, because everyone heard them speak in his own language.
7. Then they were all amazed and marveled, saying to one another, “Look, are not all these who speak Galileans?
8. And how is it that we hear, each in our own language in which we were born?
12. So they were all amazed and perplexed, saying to one another, “Whatever could this mean?”
13. Others mocking said, “They are full of new wine.”
14. But Peter, standing up with the eleven, raised his voice and said to them, “Men of Judea and all who dwell in Jerusalem, let this be known to you, and heed my words.
15. For these are not drunk, as you suppose, since it is only the third hour of the day.
16. But this is what was spoken by the prophet Joel:
17. ‘ And it shall come to pass in the last days, says God,
That I will pour out of My Spirit on all flesh;
Your sons and your daughters shall prophesy,
Your young men shall see visions,
Your old men shall dream dreams.
18. And on My menservants and on My maidservants
I will pour out My Spirit in those days;
And they shall prophesy
The Bible tells us, that they had waited just like the Lord had instructed them.
For 50 days, praying and waiting for what was going to happen,
not really knowing what was going to happen, but knowing if it was from God, it would be well worth the wait!
When it finally did happen, it was so magnificent and almost indescribable all at the same time.
“And suddenly there came a sound from heaven, as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting, And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues,
as the Spirit gave them utterance..”
What they had received that day, they knew it was way to important, for them to keep it to their selves.
That’s why at nine o’clock in the morning, they were taking it to the streets.
It was history right there in the making,
The power of God was on display, like it never had been seen before.
What an awesome display of the power of God it was then, and still is today.
3,000 souls were added to the church that day, it was nothing short of amazing!
They didn’t downplay what they were given that day, it was miraculous and still is today.
They were at the start of the “Great Commission”. The greatest quest ever known to mankind.
The gift of the Holy Spirit gave them power to proclaim The wonderful works of Jesus, like never before!
Everywhere they went, they lifted up the name of Jesus and God was in charge of the results,
Jesus told them to go and they went without question, were they able to cover the whole world?
No, but they covered their whole world and as others were told the word spread even more throughout the world,
the message and the story of Jesus set captives free, His grace and forgiveness gave hope to a lost and dying world, and still does!
For the message to reach all the world, it had to be shared with all religious sects.
The message of Jesus had to be shared more than just with the Jews,
if it was going to go into all the world.
That’s why it went out, to every dialect that was there on that day, the message had started to go into all the world at that very moment,
The results were tremendous, 3,000 souls were added to the church the very first day the Holy Spirit came on the scene!
The miraculous thing is, We still have the same access to the Holy Spirit that they had access to on the first day of Pentecost!
God is not a respecter of persons, what He freely gave to the 120, He still gives to all who will ask, still some 2,000 yrs. later,