Summary: Lesson in patience and perserverance
Don’t Give Up When Things Are Tough
Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves. Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Share with God's people who are in need. Practice hospitality. (Rom 12:9-13)
1. What Is Meant By “Patient In Affliction”?
- Patience = steadfastness, consistency, endurance; to stay under the load willingly and not as a victim of circumstances
·(Heb 10:36) For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.
- Affliction = tribulation, distress, trouble, oppression, pressure, being pressed, experiencing hardships
·(Mat 24:9) "Then you will be handed over to be persecuted and put to death, and you will be hated by all nations because of me.
(2 Cor 8:13) Our desire is not that others might be relieved while you are hard pressed, but that there might be equality.
2. What Are The Benefits Of Patience For The Christian?
- Patience produces spiritual maturity.
Patience strengthens the Christian’s testimony.
·(Heb 12:1) let us run with patience the race that is set before us,
- Patience demonstrates loyalty to God.
·(2 Tim 2:22) Flee the evil desires of youth, and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart.
- Patience brings God’s reward.
·(Gal 6:9) And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.
3. How Can You Persist In Times Of Trials?
- Pray for strength & help
·(Psa 25:18) Look upon mine affliction and my pain;
·(Lam 1:9) O LORD, behold my affliction:
- Comfort others.
·(Phil 4:14) Notwithstanding ye have well done, that ye did communicate with my affliction.
- Trust God’s :
·Presence = (Isa 41:10) Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.
·Deliverance = (2 Tim 4:17-18) Notwithstanding the Lord stood with me, and strengthened me; .. and I was delivered out of the mouth of the lion. And the Lord shall deliver me from every evil work, and will preserve me unto his heavenly kingdom: