Summary: will you be numbered with the saints, or numbered with those who quit, give up, turn back on the Lord
ntro: have you ever felt like quitting something? I guess everyone from time to time feels like quitting their job, quitting a sport, ill) Tallassee football- quitting a relationship, quitting the church. But today’s message is: “You can’t quit on Jesus, because Jesus never quit on you” I would like to give you some reasons you can’t quit on Jesus: turn to Hebrews 10:35-39
1. all the people who said you would never make it, it would never last, they will get to say, I told you so—I would hate that for you, I would hate that for me—I had a bunch of friends who said, you won’t make it, you won’t last—I don’t want them to be right, I don’t want to hear them say I told you so. Today, be determined, don’t throw away your confidence.
2. you have to go back to your old life—do you want to go back to that old life of sin—carrying around the guilt, fear and condemnation. No peace in your life, no joy in the Lord. It is a bad thing to crawl back down into the pit Christ pulled you out of. Yes serving the Lord is hard, yes there are tough times, but serving the Devil is worse. His business is stealing, killing and destroying, if you crawl back into his pit, destruction will be part of your existence.
3. All your effort, all your prayers, all your years of faithful service—down the drain. The winners of the race aren’t the good starters, or the fast sprinters, but those who cross the line. The line is in sight, yet a little while, and he will come and not tarry. Your testimony will be, one who got so close, but was still so far away. Ill)California miner—boots and pick left a few feet away from greatest gold deposit ever found in America.
4. Over some little offense—because of offenses the love of many shall wax cold. You can’t quit over some little offense. You can’t let a hypocrite keep you out of heaven. So you didn’t get the credit for something you did, you will get your reward in heaven, don’t be offended and quit. So the preacher didn’t shake your hand, so—no one appreciates all I do around here—don’t let some little nothing rob you of heaven. Don’t go to hell with a spiritual chip on your shoulders. Don’t let a crutch of offense keep you from walking into glory.
5. The greatest of Ingratitude’s –you have to do despite to the spirit of grace, you have to trample over the blood of Christ. Yes you are letting yourself down, but greater still, you are letting down all those who have put their faith in your walk and have gained strength from your testimony. Family members, friends, your Pastor, a faithful teacher in your life. But most importantly, you have to let Jesus down, you have to be ashamed of him before men. No one has ever loved you enough to die for you, except Him, you are spitting in his face, you are driving in those nails, you are rejecting the one who gave his life for your salvation.
6. you face eternal judgment—v.39-draw back unto perdition—God has no pleasure in those who draw back, those who give up, those who quit. Perdition, you get to spend eternity in a lake of fire. Years ago, E.V. Hill preached a sermon titled-because I don’t want to go to hell. There is very little preaching today about judgment, eternal damnation or hell. But if you quit on Jesus, it is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.
7. You miss heaven—you don’t get to walk inside the gate, you don’t get to walk on streets of gold, you miss receiving your robe and crown. In heaven, there will be no more tears, there will be no sickness and pain. There will be no more night. But when you quit, when you stop serving the Lord, you miss out on the blessing of eternal life in Christ.
Conclusion: don’t quit now, you have come to far to turn back now. If you look you can see the lights of home. Our salvation is nearer now than it’s ever been before.
ill) I read a story recently about the man who signed his divorce papers from his wife, and on the next day she won the lottery for ten’s of millions of dollars. That is bad, but not near as bad as missing heaven, not near as bad as being separated from the saints of God, not near as bad as spending eternity with demons, the devil, the anti-Christ, the beast, the false prophet, and all the evil and wicked who rejected Christ. Don’t quit, don’t quit on Jesus, because Jesus never quit on you.