Summary: Sermon titled dressed up because it is close to Halloween. The describes how the Pharisees dressed up outwardly but inwardly were not Saints. The sermon share how Saints are dressed up.
Matthew 23 :1-12 Dressed Up
First let us look how the Pharisees dressed Up:
1. The Pharisees Dressed Up their outer garments were Devoutness but their inward garments were Hypocritical They don't live up to the standards of a true Saint
• : 2"The teachers of the law and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat. 3So you must obey them and do everything they tell you. But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they preach.
2. The Pharisees dressed up, their outward attire was a façade of how they were obligated to help the needy but (Inwardly they were unappreciative, ungracious, unmindful, and unthankful. They were not obligated but they taught others that they needed to be obligated).
• 4They tie up heavy loads and put them on men's shoulders, but they themselves are not willing to lift a finger to move them.
3. The Pharisees dressed up with the Masks of Piety. Outwardly they were well disguised, but inwardly was concealed a venomous pretense of self-righteousness, conceit, and complacency
• 5"Everything they do is done for men to see: They make their phylacteries
A wide and the tassels on their garments long
4. The Pharisees Dressed Up in costumes of Arrogance
• 6they love the place of honor at banquets and the most important seats in the synagogues; 7they love to be greeted in the marketplaces and to have men call them `Rabbi.'
Now Let’s look at How the Saints Dressed UP
1. Saints are dressed up not just outwardly but inwardly with Devoutness vs 8 says the Saints have only One Master and that Master is not themselves Timothy say Dress yourself in Godliness 7Have nothing to do with godless myths and old wives'
tales; rather, train yourself to be godly.
2. Saints are dressed up inwardly and outwardly with Obligation to the Christ. They are thankful, appreciative, mindful of the needy, and they are committed
• his sheep follow him because they know his voice. 5But they will never follow a stranger; in fact, They take up their cross and follow him, they drop their net and follow him
3. Saints are Dressed in garments of Humility their inward heart seeks humbleness, seeks meekness, and seeks modesty
• Zephaniah 2:3Seek the LORD, all you humble of the land, . Seek righteousness, seek humility; they seek the good for another and not for themselves as Paul writes to the Corinthians.
4. Real Saints are dress Up with the following Garments
A. The Saints fashion themselves like Stars, Daniel says .
• 3Those who are wiseA will shine like the brightness of the heavens, and those who lead many to righteousness, like the stars for ever and ever.
B. The Saints Apparel Shine like Lights for they are
• 14"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. let your light shine so the whole household will see it
C. The Saints Raiment is Like Mt. Zion
• The Psalmist says 1Those who trust in the LORD are like Mount Zion, which cannot be shaken but endures forever
D. The Saints Vestments are like a soldier who has endured hardship