Summary: Pentecost (B) - Dry bones -- hear the word of the Lord!! God’s word gives us life. Our Lord gives his Spirit
DRY BONES, HEAR THE WORD OF THE LORD! (Outline)
May 11, 2008 --
INTRO: On this day of Pentecost we recall the outpouring of the Holy Spirit upon the early Christian church.
God’s Holy Spirit is still poured out upon the Christian church. This same Holy Spirit comes to us day in
and day in through and by the power of God’s holy word. "I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the
power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes…. Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message,
text will be our theme:
“DRY BONES, HEAR THE WORD OF THE LORD!”
I. God’s word gives us life.
II. Our Lord gives his Spirit.
I. GOD’S WORD GIVES US LIFE.
A. Ezekiel was God’s prophet in exile. Israel, God’s chosen children, were also people in exile.
1. Israel had been defeated, captured, and now taken as prisoners to Babylon.
2. Ezekiel now gives them hope in these verses. This was God’s revelation to Ezekiel, verse 1.
3. God’s hand upon Ezekiel was the overpowering grip of divine revelation for mankind.
B. Verse 2. The valley filled with dry bones was a sad sight. The bones were ready to turn back to dust.
1. Can they live? Verse 3. Ezekiel answers with trust in God’s mercy. They can live = mercy.
2. Verse 4. The bones are dry. Bones with no ears. They are told to hear. God’s word = power.
3. This power of the word and voice of the Lord through Ezekiel would bring life, verses 5,6.
C. Ezekiel hears, listens, and speaks as the Lord commands, verses 7,8. Bones connect and flesh covers.
1. These forms are empty shells with no life. The Lord gives his command to Ezekiel, verse 9.
2. Again, Ezekiel obeys. The once dry bones with lifeless flesh now live! Verse 10.
D. The Lord and Ezekiel still speak to us today, “Dry bones, hear the word of
the Lord! The power of God’s word gave life to those dry bones. God’s powerful
word and actions still speak as loud today as they did at the beginning of this
world. Human beings are the crowning glory of God’s creation. This is so
because of God’s plan and design. Contrary to evolution we have not evolved
into being the top of the food chain. We were created that way from the very
beginning. "The LORD God formed the man from the dust of the ground and breathed
into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being"
E. Notice the time and care and concern our Lord God took in making man. This
is different from the rest of creation. For the rest of creation God spoke and
it was done. This is the absolute power of God’s word that goes beyond our human
comprehension. When there was nothing at all God spoke and everything was created.
By the word of the Lord there was light, dark, water, land, animals, the sun, the
moon, the stars, and all things. "By faith we understand that the universe was
formed at God’s command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was