Summary: Easter is a celebration that Jesus is alive! But, He is now calling on you and I to to follow Him in total submission. Are we TRULY ready to celebrate Easter?
Easter 2011, Part 4
- Up to this point, we’ve seen several key events that surround this sacred time:
-- We’ve seen our Lord and Savior fulfill Zec 9:9 and ride into Jerusalem
-- We’ve seen one of the 12 betray Him for 30 pieces of silver; the wage of a slave
-- We’ve seen Jesus celebrate Passover with His disciples; stopping short of 1 cup
-- Isaiah wrote in 700BC that the Messiah would endure this suffering for us
-- We’ve recounted the beating that Jesus took for our sins; so we could be free
-- This week, we’ve seen our Lord suffer (horribly); He died (well), and be buried
- But, even after all of that – the BEST is still yet to come!
- Stand and read Matthew 28:1-10 / Pray
Point 1 – Jesus is Alive, Forever! (1-10)
- Upon going to the tomb they witnessed a tremendous sight from the Lord
- A blinding light / earthquake -- when God makes an entrance; it is memorable!
-- Even in your own life, when God enters there must be turn indicators
- APP: There must be some sort of sign that God has entered; and changed you
-- If you are walking with Christ, there is fruit produced (Matt 7:20 “Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.”)
- In the presence of the Lord and His angels, fear (respect) is a common response
-- Men throughout scripture fall on their face before Him: Moses, John, Paul, etc.
- Angel tells them to look, and see … Jesus is not there … HE IS RISEN!
-- Expound on this – very important to grasp the GLORY of this promise
-- Never since has one walked out of the grave forever; even Lazarus died again
- Need a clear understanding here; THIS is the pivotal point of our faith
-- John 20:29, “Then Jesus told him, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed."
- They are given instructions to tell the Disciples to go to Galilee
-- Why? Because they were busy hiding and needed encouragement to GO
- This is the same encouragement we need today – we MUST be telling
-- We must be going – we must be involved in spreading the Gospel to all
- The exact events are clear: Jesus has died, He has risen, and now we must GO
- TRANS: Before we can go – we must accept and ensure we are following
Point 2 – You Must Accept and Receive
- This morning, you must accept this simple fact as well to begin your walk
- It is a matter of submitting to God; giving your life to Him (He died for you)
- APP: We must bow down before Jesus Christ; this is God’s message; not ours
- Accepting Jesus is as simple as the A, B, C’s:
- Accept that you are a sinner and that Jesus died for your sins
-- Rom 3:23, “for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.”
- Believe that God sent His son to die (John 3:16) and raised Him from the dead
-- Acts 2:32, “God has raised this Jesus to life, and we are all witnesses of it.”
- Confess that you need Him as your Lord and Savior
-- Rom 10:9, “If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved”