Summary: Names of God 4: El Elyon. God is SPOKEN of as El Elyon, God Most High- but He is KNOWN when He is revealed as ’God most personal’. This sermon looks at God’s sovereignty, our ’smallness’ and how you only know God’s nature as His Names are experienced in
Names of God 4: El Elyon Dan 4:2,3, 13-17, 33-34 WBC 18/9/05am
A true story - a woman entered a Haagen-Dazs store on the Kansas City Plaza for an ice-cream cone. After making her selection, she turned and found herself face to face with Paul Newman. He was in town filming the movie Mr. and Mrs. Bridge. Newman’s blue eyes caused her knees to buckle. She managed to pay for her cone, then left the shop, heart pounding. When she gained her composure, she realized she didn’t have her cone. She started back to the store to get it and met Newman at the door. "Are you looking for your ice-cream cone?" he asked. She nodded, unable to speak. "You put it in your purse with your change."
Contributed by: Scott Weber on www.sermoncentral.com
I pray that you may have a sense of speechlessness and awe in God’s presence this morning. One greater that Paul Newman is here!
So much greater!
Nebuchadnezzar knew about God. He searched Daniel out to interpret his dream because he had heard about the one true God. But at the end of his experience he knew something of the one true God for himself- because He had experienced him as El Elyon
God is revealed in scripture as El ELyon.
- Melchizedek blesses Abram in the name of El Elyon Gen 14;18
- Abram responds in oath to El ELyon
PS 18:13 The LORD thundered from heaven; the voice of El Elyon h resounded.
- The psalmist cries out to El Elyon to be rescued 57:1, 78:35
- Is 14:13 The King of Babylon (and it’s a picture of Satan in his rebellion) tries to raise his throne above the stars of God and make himself like El Elyon
El Elyon. 28 times in the OT. 19 of those in the psalms
- El meaning God (hear last sun pm sermon)
- Elyon meaning highest… most high
The title conveys truth about God… and His nature
- that, in a cosmos of many powers: political and spiritual. Many ’gods’ as were followed in the nations around Israel and are worshipped today
o HE is the most high. The most high God. There is no other but Him
- It conveys his power. His transcendence
o That He is above all
R.C. Sproul tells us
transcendence means literally, "to climb across." It is defined as "exceeding the usual limits." When we speak of the transcendence of God we are talking about that sense in which God is above and beyond us. He is higher than the world. He has absolute power over the world. The world has no power over Him. Transcendence describes God in His consuming majesty, His exalted loftiness. He is an infinite cut above everything else. [The Holiness of God p. 55]
Contributed by: Bruce Goettsche on www.sermoncentral.com
This word conveys God’s omnipotence.
- His ability to do absolutely anything
o "Is anything too difficult for God?’
- He is all powerful. Utterly and completely in control. Totally
- The creator of all things. Sovereign over all things. Lord of all things.
o The One before whom every knee must bow- willingly or in awesome angst.
o The Power and dynamo of the universe. The one who speaks and things come into being
" Illustr: Angels and Demons. A priest proves matter can come from energy… and this proves the source of the energy and matter: God.