Summary: Names of God 6: El Olam, "Eternal God". The God who is eternally existent, eternally consistent and eternally present.
Names of God 6: El Olam- God eternal. WBC 9.10.05am
This being a special Sunday the Elders wanted a special speaker. They asked the most talented minister they knew but he said no. They then decided to ask the smartest preacher they knew but he also said no. Then they decided to ask the best look preacher they knew but he also said no. Then they decided they better ask me. What could I say? I’d already said no three times.
From Revd Kim Huffman
I jest! Actually, as I came to this name of God I thought "Who chooses these blinking things!?" (me!- I give myself the difficult ones)
- !A sermon from one name!". El- God, Olam- eternal, everlasting, forever
- but I had this sense that God had something to say.
… and as I searched the contexts in which this name of God was used….. I’m telling you- God spoke to me! So even if you get nothing out of this, thank goodness I’m alright!
The first is
ETERNALLY EXISTENT (PPT)
… quite obvious, I guess
But, you know, I thought that concept of time and eternity was something that came in with Einstein. Certainly time being a variable, and the possibility of being outside it
- but no. It’s there in the Bible. Not because of their concept of time, but their understanding of GOD
He’s there at the start of it "In the beginning, God". Jesus is there in the middle of it "In the beginning was the Word". And He’s there at the end of it. "I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end" (Rev. 22:13 )
- but there was this concept that He was there before it all, as well… and He’ll be there after it all
o the concept of eternity, and God being eternal
It’s hard to get your head ’round. I can remember it as a child. Before there was anything… when there was nothing- there was God
- this ’brain strain’ is there in the Bible, too
Eccl 3:11 11 He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end. 12 I know that there is nothing better for men than to be happy and do good while they live. 13 That everyone may eat and drink, and find satisfaction in all his toil--this is the gift of God. 14 I know that everything God does will endure forever; nothing can be added to it and nothing taken from it. God does it so that men will revere him.
Yes- they understood about time and eternity.
- but what does this acrually mean?
1) God is the source of all things because He is before all things (PPT)
- He IS the creator. Oh yes! There has to have been an ultimate cause- and this is who it is! No way can things have come into being by chance
o Illustr: big debate back on in USA over intelligent design. There are scientists who argue both ways- but truth is you can’t have cauae without effect! Just can’t.
2) God is bigger than all things (PPT)
- some think "well, God is like… nature. Add it all up you’ve got God"
o = "pantheism" ’God is all… all is God"
- but no. That doesn’t make sense. The creator is bigger than the created. You can’t look at Pam’s sculptures and say ’that’s Pam’