Summary: Jesus knew that "The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life – a secure fortress, turning a man from the snares of death." (Prov. 14:26,27)
The Benefits of Fearing (Reverencing) God So You Can Overcome All Other Fears (Psalm 34)
"Fear the Lord you His saints for to those who fear Him there is no want... They who seek the Lord shall not be in want of any good thing." (Psalm 34)
Jesus commanded us, "Fear not for I am with you." This commandment is given by God throughout the scriptures more than any other. Our Lord knew that it is a basic human instinct to fear for our own safety, wellbeing and concerns. Perhaps, this is one of the reasons why Jesus decided to come to earth to demonstrate how He overcame His own human fears. When Jesus wrestled with His fears He turned to the Lord and His disciples for comfort. The Good Shepherd knew that fear is often nothing more than F- FAULTY, E – EXPECTATIONS, A – ASSUMPTIONS, about R- REALITY.
1. Jesus knew that we are all commanded to "Fear the Lord and serve Him in sincerity and truth."(Psa. 2:11) The Lord knew that there is a place for a healthy fear and reverence of the Lord to keep us from evil.
2. Jesus knew that there are many benefits in fearing God and keeping His commandments. "Fear the Lord you his saints, for to those who fear Him there is no want." (Psa. 34:9) By focusing our attention on the Lord it minimizes our fear of our surrounding circumstances.
3. Jesus knew that through humility and in the fear of the Lord are riches, honor and life. (Prov. 22:4) Jesus chose to concentrate on displaying Godly humility and reverence for God as a means of allowing the Lord to provide all essential ingredients to one’s life and ministry.
4. Jesus knew that we are commanded not to fear men. "The fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord is kept safe." (Prov. 29:25) Jesus knew that many people become men pleasers because they fear men more than God. Certain personalities struggle with this temptation more than others
5. Jesus knew that "The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life – a secure fortress, turning a man from the snares of death." (Prov. 14:26,27) Jesus looked optimistically to the Lord for energy, provisions, protection, blessings, direction, nutrients, refreshment, strength, love, hope, and peace. When a person finds all that they need in the Lord they have nothing to fear from this world.
6. Jesus knew that women will have no fear for their families if they chose to trust God for all things. (Prov. 31:21) Jesus understood the fears of women as He assured them of the certainty of God’s security.
7. Jesus understood the fear that children have since He had demonstrated courage in going to the temple without His parent’s knowledge. His parents asked Him, "Son, why have you treated us like this? Your father and I have been anxiously searching for you." Jesus calmly said, "Didn’t you know I had to be in my Father’s house? But His parents did not understand what he was saying to them." (Luke 2:48-52) Jesus was even willing to brave the wrath and misunderstanding of His parents for the Father’s will. Many people fail to complete 100% of the will of God because they fear displeasing their family members.