Summary: Sometimes it feels as if we are in the battle far too deep and are about to be defeated but we must remember, with God's help, we cannot be defeated.
EMBATTLED BUT NOT DEFEATED
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
Here as we struggle through the complexities of this Christian life, the enemy continually confronts us. He seems to know the things that push our buttons and cause us to become weak in the face of a true blessing, if we can remain steadfast. We are promised the ability to defeat the plummet of sin the devil throws at us throughout the week if we remain concentrated upon the Lord and the work He has for us to do. We must remember in the middle of our most intense storms is where we gain our strength.
We are embattled but not defeated.
I. WE ARE IN A BATTLE FOR OUR LIBERTY
1. I want you to notice with me if you will the closeness of this battle. The scripture says, “we wrestle”. Satan has come at us personally, with intent to steel away our joy, peace, contentment and sanity. We, although, do not have to sit by idle and let Satan rob us of all we hold dear. Rev.12:11 says,
And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.
2. Satan is strong in the things that he does against us but God gives us weapons to combat the strength of the enemy. The bible says, 1 Co. 10:4
(For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strongholds;)
3. If Satan can take all of our liberty from us and we don’t have any freedom to worship the Lord the way we should, he will have us defeated.
II. WE BATTLE SPIRITUAL POWERS
1. This is not a flesh and blood battle but a battle to defeat us spiritually. We must fight this battle with all the power of the Lord at our side.
2 Sam 22:33 God is my strength and power: and He maketh my way perfect.
2. Any army that has any success against the foe knows about the enemy. We in the same way must be familiar with our adversary. One passage of scripture, speaks of Satan throwing fiery darts at us. In the form of accusations designed to divert our attention away from the task at hand. Another passage says he is a roaring lion seeking whom he may devour.
3. We are called by God to contend with these adversaries mentioned in the scripture we are using as our text. 2 Tim. 2:3,4 Thou therefore endure hardness as a good soldier of Jesus Christ 4. No man that warreth entengleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please Him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.
III. REASONS TO FIGHT FOR OUR LIVES
1. The most important object depend upon us defending our Christianity. (1) our steadfastness (2) our liberty (3) our glory (4) our eternal life.
2. Because victory is certain to the faithful soldiers of Christ. (1) Victory over the world.
1 John 5:4 For whosoever is born of God overcometh the world; and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith. (2) Victory over sin. Jesus gave us the victory over sin when He died on the cross all we have to do is claim it. (3) Victory over Satan (4) Victory over tribulation (5) victory over death. Jesus took the keys to death hell and the grave from Satan and on that day we will no longer have to worry about death.