Summary: Our blessings are in God's hands, not ours. Blessings come from obedience, not works. Enjoy what God has already given.
It is God’s will that everyone be blessed, according to the Scriptures.
His promise of a fulfilling and abundant life is given to all, not a selected few.
• It does not matter who you are, what race or nationality, how educated or rich you are, whether single or married, God wants you to be blessed.
• He tells Abraham, “I will make you a great nation, I will bless you… and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you.” (Gen 12:2)
Obviously, for that to happen, a few things is necessary. Moses highlighted them:
FIRST, OUR BLESSINGS ARE IN HIS HANDS, NOT OURS
It’s good to remind ourselves that blessings do not come to us simply because of our hard work and good planning. It looks that way because we fail to see the grace of God.
• Apart from Him, we have nothing. He is the SOURCE of our blessings because this world is His handiwork.
• Everything we “own” actually belongs to God. The psalmist says, “The earth is the LORD's, and everything in it, the world, and all who live in it.” (Ps 24:1)
• He owns the blessings that we are receiving.
Moses paints God’s absolute control over all we have – verse 4 - the fruit of your womb, crops in the fields, livestock in the folds, and the harvests we gather in the barns.
• These produce of nature are not within our control. They are gifts of God. In fact, I doubt if any blessing is ever, really in our control.
• We heard this common saying - that we can buy a bed but not sleep; food but not appetite; a house but not a home; medicine but not health; amusements but not happiness; religion but not salvation; a passport to everywhere but heaven.
• Blessings in life are gifts from God. Acknowledge that. Recognise it.
We see this refrain in this text: the Lord will grant, the Lord will send, the Lord will bless, the Lord will establish, the Lord will open, the Lord will make you…
• It’s all about Him. God will take us where money cannot, where people cannot, where our own wisdom and strength cannot.
• We need Him. Stay connected to God. Stay close to Jesus.
• If you do not know Him, consider Jesus today and put your trust in Him as your Saviour. It is only through Jesus we know God. You’ll be blessed if you know Him.
Deut 28:2 “All these blessings (that are not in your control but His) will come upon you and accompany you if you obey the Lord your God.”
• Other versions put it – “and OVERTAKE YOU” (which is a more accurate translation).
• His blessings will come running after you. It is in abundance.
• Psalm 65:11 “You crown the year with your bounty, and your carts overflow with abundance.”
The second thing we need to know is:
SECOND, OUR BLESSINGS COME FROM OBEDIENCE, NOT WORKS
Since they are gifts of God, then they are not merely the result of human efforts.
Moses started with a big IF in verse 1 and ended with another in verse 13.