Summary: Praise God, the eternal, triune God has made a promise in His eternal Word - the promise of eternal life. This is the subject here in our text. John is going to teach us why we can all receive the gift of eternal life.
Description: Praise God, the eternal, triune God has made a promise in His eternal Word - the promise of eternal life. This is the subject here in our text. John is going to teach us why we can all receive the gift of eternal life.
Eternal Life - God's Gift To Man
1. Everything that surrounds us is temporal. None of it lasts (clothes, cars, toys, computers, iPhones, even our physical life doesn't last).
- Most Christmas presents that are given this year will eventually end up in a garage sale, a thrift store, or the city dump.
- Garage sales are for old junk that we want to get rid of, that was once new stuff that we had to have. But now we need to get rid of it so we can make room for new junk.
2. In a world where nothing lasts and things always change, it's great to know that there are a few eternal (perpetual; never-ending) things that never change.
- Here is the wonderful part: every person can receive the gift of eternal life!
4. This is the subject here in our text. John is going to teach us why we can all receive the gift of eternal life.
Eternal life is a reality. vs. 11a
1. John says, ìAnd this is the recordÖî This word “record” means “evidence; report; witness; testimony.”
2. In other words, when it comes to this matter of eternal life, God has gone on record and promised it. He didn't just promise it verbally, but rather He went as far as to put it in writing. Titus 1:2; 1 John 2:25; John 10:28, 11:26
3. Either we believe that God can give life that will never end, or we believe that God is a liar. One or the other. vs. 10
4. Many people think that this life is it. What you see is what you get. Live it up and die, because, once you die, that's it. They are sadly mistaken. This life is simply preparation for eternity. What kind of preparing are we doing?
ï Are we living for now, or are we living with eternity in view?
ï If you knew that this next year would be your last here on earth, what would you change?
Eternal life is a gift. vs. 11b
1. Notice, “God hath given to us eternal life.” It did not say that God traded us, or sold us, or rewarded us with eternal life. He gave it!
2. One of the greatest deceptions Satan has going today is the concept of people trying to earn eternal life in heaven. It is the idea that you have to be good enough.
- Salvation from our sins and eternal life in heaven is a gift God wants to give.
- You cannot earn a gift. A gift must be received.
4. How do we receive God's gift of eternal life? God won't swing His hand down and hand you a certificate that says ìEternal Life.î So how do you get it?
Eternal life is a Person. vs. 11c, 12
1. Where is eternal life located according to verse 11? ìIn His Son.î
2. This is where you find it. So, if I have received Jesus Christ, then what have I received? Eternal life!
3. That's what verse 12 says. This is very easy to understand, isn't it? Eternal life is Jesus. Romans 5:21
4. When I trust Jesus, believing that He died on the cross for my sinsÖ when I accept Christ as my Savior, I receive the gift of eternal life. ìHe that hath the Son hath life.î
- It didn't say, ìHe that belongs to the church has life,or He that was baptized has life.
- Forget about churchianity. Forget about religion. Forget about all the religious trickery and tomfoolery today. This is designed to keep you in bondage.
5. The important issue is this: do you have Christ? Is He your Savior? Have you placed your total trust in Him and received Him as your only hope of eternal life?
6. There is no other way. Eternal life is a Person. It is Jesus.
Eternal life is a choice. vs. 13a
1. “Unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God.” Eternal life is a personal choice. You must choose to believe on Christ.