Summary: In times of trouble, IS THERE a FUTURE? Can things ever be restored? The answer is found in knowing that Jesus promised us more than applies just to this life. The promises of Christ are both for NOW and FOREVER.
In times of trouble, IS THERE a FUTURE? Can things ever be restored? Two weeks ago, my wife’s cousin told about a tragedy that occurred in Lancaster County. Her friend, Marilyn Martin and her husband Mark have ten children. Their twin boys, Kyle and Jordan, along with their 9 year old sister were killed as one of the boys was driving them home from an activity. The funeral service was held last week at Ephrata Community Church.
What can one say to a family so devastated? How does the “good plan of God” that we often talk of apply to Mark and Marilyn, and their 7 living children? Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope."
The answer to this devastating question, and infinitely other devastating trials is found in knowing that Jesus promised us more than applies just to this life. The promises of Christ are revealed in the prophesy given to Judah in their darkest moment.
Isaiah’s prophesy provides The PROMISE of a Deliverer, given in four specific details:
First, A Child is born. This is the promise that God would deliver us from our problems, and that his deliverance would come in the form of a child.
Next, A SON is given. The child would be a MALE CHILD. The Child would be a GIFT. 2 Corinthians 9:15 "Thanks be to God for his inexpressible gift!"
Third, The GOVERNMENT will be upon his shoulders. The idea expresses the AUTHORITY of the Messiah. He will provide justice on earth. The picture is that of a scepter being in his shoulder, just like those pictures we see of an Egyptian ruler with his arms crossed, a scepter in one arm and a whip in the other. The scepter on his shoulder represents his complete authority.
Finally, His NAME. God’s blessings will be poured out through a PERSON of CHARACTER
Following the four fold promises, comes a four fold DESCRIPTION of the Deliverer
A. Wonderful Counselor - the PERSON of Christ
B. Mighty God - the POWER of Christ
C. Everlasting Father - the PROMISES of Christ
D. Prince of Peace - the PEACE of Christ
The names “Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God” tell us what Jesus can do for us HERE
The final two names, “Eternal Father, Prince of Peace” tell us what Jesus can do for us HEREAFTER.
The Promises concerning Messiah are EVERLASTING. Mark and Marilyn can find comfort because there is more to the story of our lives than just the momentary. There is eternal reward and hope that we will be with our loved ones again.
Because these promises are ascribed to Jesus, it also reveals that the Messiah possesses all of the attributes of deity.
Only GOD is everlasting!
1. Psalm 90:2 "Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever you had formed the earth and the world, from everlasting to everlasting you are God."
2. Psalm 103:17 "But the steadfast love of the Lord is from everlasting to everlasting on those who fear him, and his righteousness to children’s children,"
3. Habakkuk 1:12 "Are you not from everlasting, O Lord my God, my Holy One? We shall not die. O Lord, you have ordained them as a judgment, and you, O Rock, have established them for reproof."
Isaiah 9:6 is accompanied by other OT and NT passages that reveal the Eternal nature of Jesus, the Messiah. This attestation to the quality of eternal existence reveal that JESUS is GOD.
1. John 8:58 “I Am”
2. Micah 5:2 “Coming forth is from old, from ancient of days”
3. Daniel 7 “Ancient of Days”
4. Colossians 1:17 "And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together."
5. Hebrews 1:12 "(heavens) like a garment they will be changed. But you are the same, and your years will have no end.”
6. Rev. 1:17 “I am the FIRST and the LAST”
7. Rev 1:8; 22:13 “I am the ALPHA and OMEGA”
8. Heb. 13:8 “The same yesterday, Today, and Forever”
Jesus has an ETERNAL RELATIONSHIP with us. Ephesians 1:4 "even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love he predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ...
Take Comfort in the ETERNAL PROMISES of JESUS
1. Give you PEACE. John 16:33 "I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.”
2. You will KNOW the TRUTH. John 8:32 "and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”
3. Give you LIGHT. John 8:12 "Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”"