Summary: This is a revamp of a series from a few years ago. We can reach people if our faith is evident!
• SLIDE #1
• Once we become a Christian, what are we to do? Should there be anything different about what we do with our lives, should there be a different focus for our lives than what we had before we came to Jesus? What should we be doing with ourselves as we await the return of Jesus?
• This is the subject matter of the book of 1 Thessalonians. Chuck Colson has a book that has been out for a few years called, “How Now Shall We Live?” This is a good statement of purpose for the book of 1 Thessalonians. What should we be doing with ourselves while we are living out our lives waiting for Jesus to return?
• Our belief and faith in Jesus should have a profound effect on our lives and our priorities in life. Too many times, that is not happening in our lives, then we wonder why we are not winning the lost to Jesus, or even worse, we do not care.
• In 1 Thessalonians Paul deals with how we are to live our lives. As you read 1 Thessalonians you will see that each chapter in the book references the Second Coming of our Lord Jesus.
• If we really believe in Jesus, then our lives will be impacted by the fact that Jesus is going to return at anytime and that once He comes, for those who are lost, it will be too late. Knowing these things should affect our priorities and focus for life.
• Many times we do not reach the lost because we have not allowed Jesus to work in our lives past some morality issues. We get into personal comfort zones and we do not want Jesus to take us past that. In today’s text, we will see the gospel’s affect on the Christian. Once you accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior your mission is not over, it is just beginning.
• The city of Thessalonica had to look like a lost cause. The city was the capitol of the Macedonian providence; it was a center of trade, commerce and pagan religions.
• In Acts 17 we have the account of Paul starting the church. It was less than 20 years after Jesus had ascended into heaven. The field proved to be difficult but fertile, although Paul had to leave because some of the Jews were going to kill him. Paul left the city for Berea.
• SLIDE #2
• Acts 17:10-11 ( ESV ) 10The brothers immediately sent Paul and Silas away by night to Berea, and when they arrived they went into the Jewish synagogue. 11Now these Jews were more noble than those in Thessalonica; they received the word with all eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see if these things were so.
• How has Jesus affected your life? Our text today will show us how He must affect our lives if we are going to be effective in spreading the gospel to the world.
• The gospel will only advance if Christians are sold out to Jesus! People will see evidence of our salvation. Our lives should be evidence for everyone to see!
• SLIDE #3
• 1 Thessalonians 1:1-3 ( ESV ) 1Paul, Silvanus, and Timothy, To the church of the Thessalonians in God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ: Grace to you and peace. 2We give thanks to God always for all of you, constantly£ mentioning you in our prayers, 3remembering before our God and Father your work of faith and labor of love and steadfastness of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ.