Summary: How to come to the Lord’s Table
I Cor 11:23-30
- School this week
- Dr. --- To find out what is wrong
But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of [that] bread, and drink of [that] cup.
A Duty - Preventing Sin
- Unworthy Communication
Goldsmiths - The truth of their gold - Touchstone
- “ Purity “ “ “ - Fire
- “ Weight “ “ - Scale
The Object Of The Examination Himself
- Not by Pastor Priest or Others
- The Bar of conscience for questioning Concerning . . . . .
1. My State - Do I have a right to come?
2. My Sin - “I Know A Fount Where Sins Are Washed
3. My Needs - Psalm 27:4
One [thing] have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to enquire in his temple.
4. My Ends & Designs - To obey the Lord - Show his death
- Renew & seal my covenant with Him
- Get Nearness & Communion
- Nourishment for Soul
The Matter Of The Examination
1. It is a feast
• Have I Life? - Dead sit not at a banquet
• Have I appetite? - How else can I eat
• Have I Friendship - With my Lord
• Have I Garments - Salvation & Praise Is. 61:10, 3
10 I will greatly rejoice in the LORD, my soul shall be joyful in my God; for he hath clothed me with the garments of salvation, he hath covered me with the robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom decketh himself with ornaments, and as a bride adorneth herself with her jewels
3 To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that he might be glorified
2. Jesus Bids Us To Show Forth His Death
• Have I faith in His death?
• Do I live by His death?
3. Jesus Bids Us To This By Eating & Drinking
• Is Jesus truly the food of my soul?
• Eating a fact or mockery?
4. Jesus Calls Us To Remember Him In This Supper
• Are my past dealings with Him such as I wish to remember?
• Is He so loved by me that I wish to have Him in my memory?
Three Who Come
1. Those who come with out examination & Sin
- Need to repent and coup a right
2. Those who rarely come because of feeling inadequate
- Need to know that if they are not fit for communion below are not fit for heaven above
3. We who are of Jesus & have examined ourselves need to partake for He is our example and encouragement
Three Questions to Ask
1. What Am I?
2. What Have I Done?
3. What Do I Want?
A Father was cleaning out the junk drawer
- Came across a badly nicked baby cup
- Ready to throw it out
- Yesterdays reflections flooded his memory
- My 3 daughters drank from this cup
- It was a treasured possession
- Another Cup
- Drink In Remembrance Of Me!