Summary: A life of excellence will be expressed by service to others.
Commitment To Excellence - Part 10
Introduction: 2 Errors concerning Service
A. Serve so God will love you.
B. Serve so God will save you.
* (Eph 2:8 -10) For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.
I. You are Encouraged to Serve.
A. Because of your Purchase
B. Because of your Position
C. Because of your Passion
D. Because of your Partners
II. You are Equipped to Serve. What SHAPE are you in?
A. S = Spiritual Gifts - The Bible identifies by name 19 different spiritual gifts (Rom. 8; 1 Cor. 12; Eph. 4)
- Support Gifts - Apostles, Prophets, Evangelist, Pastor-Teachers
- Permanent Edifying Gifts - Prophecy, Word of Knowledge, Word of Wisdom, Teaching, Exhortation
- Primary Encouraging Gifts - Leadership, Service, Giving, Mercy, Faith, Discernment
- Temporary Establishing Gifts - Miracles, Healing, Tongues, Interpretation of Tongues
B. H = Heart - the center of your motivation, desires, & interest,. Your heart (passion) determines:
- why you say the things you do (Matt. 12:34)
- why you act the way you do (Prov. 4:23)
C.A = Abilities - natural abilities (music, art, athletics, ability to make money, etc. ) you are born with.
* (Exo 31:2-3) "See, I have chosen Bezalel…and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts”.
D. P = Personality - God uses all “types” of people in ministry. Your “temperament” will determine the most effective way for you to use your “spiritual gifts”.
E. E = Experiences - Remember: GOD NEVER WASTES AN EXPERIENCE!
* (Rom 8:28) And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.
- There are 5 areas of experience that will influence the type of ministry you are best shaped for: Educational experiences; Vocational experiences; Spiritual experiences; Ministry experiences; Painful experiences
III. You are Empowered to Serve.
A. The Holy Spirit indwells you.
B. The Holy Spirit fills you.
C. The Holy Spirit guides you.
IV. You are Expected to Serve.
D. But not Flawlessly