Summary: Building Exponential Churches
1. My followers become exceptional.
a. To fishermen, “Come follow Me, I will show you how to fish for men . . . they left their nets . . . and followed” (Matt. 4:19-20, NLT).
b. If any man will come after Me . . . deny self . . . take up cross daily . . . and follow Me” (Luke 9:23).
c. Powerful transformation. “You are in Me and I am in you” (John 14:20, NLT).
d. Exponential is greater. “The works that I do shall (you) do, and greater works” (John 14:12).
2. My church is exponential.
a. “Exponential is rapid growth according to established rule.”
b. Go into all the world and preach the gospel to everyone” (Mark 16:15).
c. “Go and make disciples of all people groups (ethne)” (Matt. 28:19, ELT). Changing people into exceptional followers. Changing cultures to follow My influence.
3. Because of My indwelling, expect exceptional ministry (Col. 3:1-4).
4. My indwelling churches make them exponential.
a. When Saul persecuted Christians, he persecuted Me (Acts 9:5).
b. The church is called “The body of Christ” (Eph. 1:22-23).
c. When Christians gather, “I am in the midst of them” (Matt. 18:20).
The Exponential Church in Jerusalem
1. Exponential evangelism. Ministry followers saturated the city with the gospel. “You have filled all Jerusalem with your teaching” (Acts 5:29, NLT).
2. Exponential growth:
? 120 prayed in Upper Room, (Acts 1:15)
? 3000 were added, i.e., 3120 followers, (Acts 2:41).
? 5000 men or head of families, 20,000, (Acts 4:4).
? Multiplied, (Acts 6:1).
? Multiplied greatly-exponentially, (Acts 6:7).
? Churches multiplied, (Acts 9:31).
3. Exponential teaching. Teaching all times, all places, with all methods, to all ages, at all spiritual levels. “Devoted themselves to the apostle’s teaching” (Acts 2:42, NLT). “House to house” (Acts 5:42).
4. Exponential fellowship. “All that believed were together” (2:44). What? (a) Regular attendance, (b) worshiped publicly, (c) obeyed scriptures, (d) used spiritual gifts.
6. Exponential blessings. “The Lord added daily” (2:47), Miracles (2:43). “Enjoying the good will” (2:47). “The meeting place shook” (4:31).
7. Exponential boldness. They prayed, “Lord behold their threatenings . . . give us your servants . . . boldness” (4:29).
8. Exponential personal evangelism “In every house, they ceased not to teach, preach Jesus Christ” (5:42). Philip led the Ethiopian government official to Christ and baptized him (Acts 8:26-40).
9. Exponential organization. “Rumblings of discontent” (Acts 6:1). The church organism was supported with organization. “Go select seven men who are well respected” (6:3). “We should spend our time teaching not running a food program” (6:2, NLT).
10. Exponential church planting. “The church . . . grew in numbers” (Acts 9:31). “Some believers went to Antioch . . . began preaching . . . the Lord Jesus Christ . . . a large number believed” (Acts 11:20-21).
11. Exponential giving. “Shared everything . . . sold property and possessions and shared their money with those in need” (Acts 2:45, NLT). “So the brethren in Antioch decided to send relief” (11:29).
12. Exponential prayer and fasting. “As they were worshiping the Lord and fasting” (13:2). “So after more fasting and prayer . . . sent them on their way” (13:3).
13. Exponential saturation. “Using every available means or methods, to reach every available person, at every available time.” ~Jerry Falwell. You have to be an exceptional follower to get exponential results.
If you have never really accepted Jesus as your personal Savior, would you do it right now? Do not delay or put it off. If you would like to receive Christ by faith, pray this simple prayer in your heart:
Dear Lord, I acknowledge that I am a sinner. I believe Jesus died for my sins on the cross, and rose again the third day. I repent of my sins. By faith I receive the Lord Jesus as my Savior. You promised to save me, and I believe You, because You are God and cannot lie. I believe right now that the Lord Jesus is my personal Savior, and that all my sins are forgiven through His precious blood. I thank You, dear Lord, for saving me. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
If you prayed that prayer, God heard you and saved you. I personally want to welcome you to the family of God and rejoice with you.
Video presentations of the PBC are available online at trbc.org/pbc
Television Airing Times for the PBC
Go to hopenow.tv for the current program schedule.