Summary: God searches for those whose heart is right to do His work. When we are asked to get involved or to commit to something, be obedient.
"Excuses or Obedience?"
"Prayer Life of Moses" series part 3 of 5
Text: Ex. 4:1-20 & Selected
Cross Creek Community Church
Pastor Dave Martin - March 18, 2001
God’s Word is Powerful, Relevant, and Life Changing!
1. "Called to Holy Ground!" (Ex. 3:1-10)
2. "Trusting God!" (Ex. 3:11-22)
3. "Excuses or Obedience?" (Ex. 4:1-20)
4. "Exercise Faith Walking!" (Ex. 4:29-5:2, 7-22)
5. "Mountain Moving Adventures!" (Ex. 7-14)
The foundation for a vibrant prayer life, a vibrant life filled with joy begins with standing on "Holy Ground". That of entering into a new Spiritual relationship with God, through Jesus Christ. "Trusting God" to work through us for without Him we are dead in the water with no paddles. This morning we will look at two key truths which Moses, you and I struggled over, that of excuses or obedience.
According to a UPI news item, the Metropolitan Insurance Company received some unusual explanations for accidents from its automobile policyholders. The following are just a few:
* "An invisible car came out of nowhere, struck my car, and vanished."
* "The other car collided with mine without warning me of its intention."
* "I had been driving my car for 40 years when I fell asleep at the wheel and had the accident."
* "As I reached an intersection, a hedge sprang up, obscuring my vision."
* "I pulled away from the side of the road, glanced at my mother-in-law, and headed over the embankment."
* "The telephone pole was approaching fast. I attempted to swerve out of its path when it struck my front end."
* "The guy was all over the road. I had to swerve a number of times before I hit him."
* "The indirect cause of this accident was a little guy in a small car with a big mouth."
"The pedestrian had no idea which direction to go, so I ran over him."
UPI News Item
We all go through life many times making excuse for our poor performance, our family members or spouse, or why we’re unable to serve the Lord.
God searches for those whose heart is right to do His work. When we are asked to get involved or to commit to something, be obedient.
How does God speak to us today?
God spoke in the O.T. - Burning bush, visions, gentle whisper, angels, miraculous signs, etc.
God speaks to us today - The Holy Spirit, God’s Word, Prayer, Circumstances, The Church.
God spoke, Moses responded...
1. The WHAT IF Excuse.
Exodus 4:1 Moses answered, "What if they do not believe me or listen to me and say, ’The LORD did not appear to you’?"
* I believe we’re seeing a worrier in action. Playing the hypothetical game.
* Moses was worrying what might happen and not what God said would happen.
* Moses lacked a firm vision and trust in what God told him. He didn’t fully trust God.
* What if - I don’t have the answer? What if they don’t respect me? Don’t believe or listen to me?
* God, I’m only a shepherd from the wilderness, I can handle animals and can live under the stars, but to go to Egypt and stand before the Israelites leaders and then the most powerful man in the world, Pharaoh himself - you must be kidding! "What if they don’t listen to me....".