Summary: How to fight the devil
Titles: “Dress for Success/Exposing the Devil’s Masquerade”
Text: Ephesians 6:10-13
INTRO: Look nice – some wearing suit & tie or dresses. Some are more casual. Business world – Dresses or suit & tie (dress codes) John Mallow “Dress for Success” Dress in order to exceed. Christian life takes this concept “Dressing to succeed” – not talking about clothes (I believe God is more concerned about our heart than the clothes you have on). I’m talking about spiritual wardrobe God has for us to stand against the Devil.
Ephesians 6:10-18 (read)
I. Be Strong in the Lord –Verse 10
-Rest in His strength is the main idea, theme of this portion of passage, key to victory.
A. We need to be strong in the Lord – depending on His strength and not ours.
How: Put on the full armor of God.
Why: So we can stand against out adversary
Who: Devil and his clan (strategies)
When: When the day of evil comes
1. Day of evil is a general phrase – indicating a day that comes often.
Q: How many have been bothered by devil & his schemes last week? (been in fight)
TS: Before about how to Dress for Success & the armor of God has for us. We should learn
about our enemy the Devil.
SUBTITLE: Exposing Devil’s masquerade, 4 things about devil
I. Devil’s very subtle 0 verse 11 word schemes GK (methods)
Method – procedure or process for achieving an end
A. Method – something you do over & over again because it works, you have success.
Ex. Football use same running, passing. Make adjustments at half time-use different approach.
1. Like Devil one thing fails, he’ll use something else.
-Methods of trickery & deceit he’s been using for thousands of years, has them perfected. He’s the
master of deceit, father of lies.
II Cor. 11:14 Apostle Paul writes, “Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light.”
B. No way we can stand against him – too clever. He’s been practicing on humans for a long time.
Ex. Playing chess with kid at camp – been playing a lot longer, knows more tactics & strategies – no
That’s why it’s important that we go to the Father and get some plans and tactics and that’s what He gives us to counter the enemy.
6 pieces of armor
5 defensive – each defensive weapon counter/response against Devil
1. Belt of truth (response to devil tactic of deceiving us with error, a lot of groups teaching today of
2. Breast late of righteousness – response against dirtying our lives with sin.
3. Gospel shoes of peace response divide our hearts, rob us of our peace, division from within, between
4. Shield of faith – response to fiery arrows of doubt that would hinder us and our walk, prevent trusting
5. Helmet of salvation – response to the attacks on our thought, command and control center.
Talk more in the coming weeks…
C. Devil is so subtle – world does not believe he exists in many parts of the west.
II Cor. 4:4 “The God of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers so they cannot see the light of the Gospel of the Glory of Christ, who is the image of God.”
1. Figment of our imagination, fairy tale
2. Liberal theology – attacking Bible on supernatural things. Many Christians don’t believe in
the devil. Ex. Mike Warnky “Satan seller High Priest” talk about playing on this very idea,
people into cult, lady dress up in Halloween devil suit and just as friend walking in making a
wish, doing a spell “playing a game”. Spend night, slowly start bringing new person in…very
TS: 2nd thing learn about devil.
II. Very Sinister – vs. 12 (read) evil
A. Spiritual mafia – heads a big organization. Took 1/3 of the angles with him when he was thrown out
B. Some of his names: Devil, accuser of the brethren, adversary Beelzebub, belial, deceiver of the whole
world, Great dragon, the evil one, father of lies, god of this world, murderer, serpent, prince of this
world, prince powers of the air, tempter.
C. One of Satan’s purposes: is to hurt & bring as much pain to God as he can.
1. God is all powerful, can not be tempted. James 1:13 “God cannot be tempted by evil” – so
there is no way Satan can get back to God except one.
2. Hurt God’s children – the only way Satan can attack God is through His children. Ex. Attack
me but when it comes to my children, brings a lot of hurt and pain.
C. One of satan’s purposes: is to hurt & bring as much pain to
1. God is all powerful, can not be tempted.