Summary: Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, is the popular reality home improvement show where families in need have their homes renovated. We are going to look at God’s design for a successful family.
EXTREME HOME MAKEOVER: FAMILY EDITION
JOKE: A small boy was sent to bed by his father. Five minutes later: "Da-ad." "What?"
"I’m thirsty. Can you bring drink of water?" "No. You had your chance. Lights out."
Five minutes later: "Da-aaaad." "WHAT?"
"I’m THIRSTY. Can I have a drink of water?"
"I told you NO!" If you ask again, I’ll have to spank you!"
Five minutes later: "Daaaa-aaaad." "WHAT!"
"When you come in to spank me, can you bring a drink of water?"
INTRO TO TOPIC:
• As a pastor, I have the privilege but also challenging responsibility of coming alongside of people in hard life situations – marriage conflict, parenting difficulties, etc.
• We as the church need to look for ways to help and support one another and our families.
THE BIG IDEA:
How many of you have seen those home-improvement shows?
Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, is the popular reality home improvement show where families in need have their homes renovated by a specialized design crew. We are going to look at God’s design for a successful family in “Extreme Home Makeover: Family Edition.”
“1 A Song of Ascents. Of Solomon. Unless the Lord builds the house, They labor in vain who build it; Unless the Lord guards the city, The watchman stays awake in vain. 2 It is vain for you to rise up early, To sit up late, To eat the bread of sorrows; For so He gives His beloved sleep. 3 Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, The fruit of the womb is a reward. 4 Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, So are the children of one’s youth. 5 Happy is the man who has his quiver full of them.” (Psalm 127:1-5).
• Solomon uses an illustration – building a family is like guarding or protecting a city
• We are living in a day and age where the family is under attack!
• If we have strong, healthy families, we will have a healthy church and a healthy society.
• God has given us a blueprint for building a successful family. Joshua 1:8.
• PERSONAL FAMILY STORY: I’ve been married for 13 years and we are trying to live by God’s design!
1. WE NEED AN EXTREME MAKEOVER IN THE FOUNDATIONS OF THE FAMILY:
“And the Lord God said, "It is not good that man should be alone; I will make him a helper comparable to him." And the Lord God caused a deep sleep to fall on Adam, and he slept; and He took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh in its place. Then the rib which the Lord God had taken from man He made into a woman, and He brought her to the man. And Adam said: "This is now bone of my bones And flesh of my flesh; She shall be called Woman, Because she was taken out of Man." Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and they shall become one flesh. And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed.” (Genesis 2:18,21-25).
• God’s original design for family was one man and one woman married for life.
JOKE: WHAT CHILDREN THINK ABOUT MARRIAGE:
HOW DO YOU DECIDE WHO TO MARRY?
• Alan, age 10—You got to find somebody who likes the same stuff. Like, if you like sports, she should like it that you like sports, and she should keep the chips and dip coming.