Summary: Believer’s can make several declarations of faith concerning God when they are in trouble.
Faith on the Offense
Believer’s can make several declarations of faith concerning God when in trouble. (Unbelievers can’t)
1 - The Lord is My Shield. (v. 3 a) [Excuse me while I get excited!!!!]
1. Enemies on every side – but, God encircles me!!! (“behind, before and on” Ps. 139:5)
Ps. 23:5 “Thou hast prepared a table before me in the presence of mine enemies.”
2. God protected David from Absalom and Ahithophel. (Absalom hung, Ahithophel suicide)
3. Providence of the believer is specific. (Lost is general)
4. God will reward the obedient and disobedient differently…
Deut 28:7 The LORD shall cause thine enemies that rise up against thee to be smitten before thy face: they shall come out against thee one way, and flee before thee seven ways.
Deut 28:25 The LORD shall cause thee to be smitten before thine enemies: thou shalt go out one way against them, and flee seven ways before them: and shalt be removed into all the kingdoms of the earth.
5. NOBODY can bless like God! NOBODY can curse like God!
2 - The Lord is My Glory. (v. 3 b)
1. Glory, honour, glorious, abundance – God’s presence IS His reward!
Jer 9:23 Thus saith the LORD, Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, neither let the mighty man glory in his might, let not the rich man glory in his riches: 24 But let him that glorieth glory in this, that he understandeth and knoweth me, that I am the LORD which exercise lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth: for in these things I delight, saith the LORD.
1 Cor 1:31 That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.
2. The Lord is my desire and delight.
Isa. 26:3 Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee. 4 Trust ye in the LORD for ever: for in the LORD JEHOVAH is everlasting strength:
3. The World’s glory is temporary and is passing away but the believer’s is eternal.
1 Jn. 2:17 And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.
4. You need to set your heart on something permanent if you want to have peace!
5. Center you mind on Him. (Mt. 6:33) SAY “THE LORD IS MY GLORY!!!”
3 - The Lord is the Lifter of My Head. (v. 3 c)
1. The ultimate result of constant pressure is discouragement.
2. The Lord is the “Lifer of my head.” He is my encourager!!!
2 Cor. 1:3 Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort;
Jude 1:20 But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,
3. SAY- Nobody can encourage like God!!! ["FEEL THE POWER!" NFL]
4 - The Lord is the Answerer of My Prayer. (v. 4)
1. Prayer to an Almighty God is the nuclear spiritual weapon. (Eph. 6)
2. God has not promised to answer the prayer of the lost.
Ps 66:18 If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear me:
Pr 1:25 But ye have set at nought all my counsel, and would none of my reproof: 26 I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear cometh; 27 When your fear cometh as desolation, and your destruction cometh as a whirlwind; when distress and anguish cometh upon you. 28 Then shall they call upon me, but I will not answer; they shall seek me early, but they shall not find me: