Summary: A man's faith is tested and proves to be genuine and enduring.
SERIES: Miracles with a Message #2
TITLE: Faith is Believing What God Said
TEXT: John 4:46-54
INTRO: Someone once said that the key to writing a good story is not only knowing what to put in the story, but what to leave out. John knew that if he included every miracle which Jesus did, in his book, that “…even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written.” (Joh 21:25b)
So, out of all of Jesus miracles, John chose 7 that he called “signs” and he included them because he wanted those who read his book to “…believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.”
We will be looking at each of the seven signs and seeing how they demonstrate the divinity and power of Jesus. Today, we look at the second sign miracle, as recorded in [John 4:46-54]
I. FAITH TESTED (vs.46-49)
A. A Father's Crisis
1. Jesus had returned to Cana, in Galilee, the site of His
2. An official in King Herod’s court, who lived in
Capernaum, had a son that was dying from an illness
3. So, when he heard that Jesus was doing great miracles
in Cana, he walked 25 miles to plead for Jesus’ help.
B. The Rich & Famous are Not Exempt from Problems
-They get problems just as much as we do!
(Job 5:7) Yet man is born unto trouble, as the sparks
C. The Nobleman Tested
1. Jesus replied: "...Except ye see signs and wonders, ye
will not believe." (v.48)
2. The Jews....constantly looking for “signs” before they
would believe on Jesus
3. The nobleman persisted: "...Sir, come down ere my
child die." (v.49)
D. Our Faith is Tested
1. We don't get everything we want, just when we want it
2. But, Jesus wants us to persist in our prayers: - ASK
(lit. transl. Mat.7:7 HCSB)
"Keep asking, and it will be given to you.
Keep searching, and you will find.
Keep knocking, and the door will be opened to you."
II. FAITH TRUSTING (vs.50)
A. Jesus Responded to the Man’s Persistent Prayer
1. Having tested the man's faith, Jesus answered his
prayer & healed the boy, who was 25 miles away
2. Then He said, "...Go thy way; thy son liveth." (v.50b)
3. The nobleman believed Jesus and his son was healed.
B. Faith is Believing God's Word
1. That He has DONE all He said He has,
2. That He IS all He said He is, and
3. That He WILL DO all He says He will do!
III. FAITH TRIUMPHANT (vs.51-53)
A. The Growth of His Faith
1. He believed once when he asked Jesus to heal his son
-Faith in his Miracles
2. He believed again when he left to go home to his son:
-Faith in his Word
3. He believed ultimately when his son was healed:
-Faith in Jesus himself
4.And His Faith was so real, it was Contagious: "...and
himself believed, and his whole house. (v.53b)
B. What This Sign Reveals About Jesus
1. Jesus showed His power over distance.
2. Jesus proved He had power over disease.
CONCL The Bible says:
“Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.” (Heb 11:1)
The official believed that Jesus was the answer.