Summary: You may rise above fear in your life.
Life-Line For Jesus Community Church Faith to battle against fear
Lorenzo Nicholson Sr. Created 02/04/01 Revised 9/01/02
2 Timothy 1: 5 When I call to remembrance the unfeigned faith that is in thee, which dwelt first in thy grandmother Lois, and thy mother Eunice; and I am persuaded that in thee also.
6 Wherefore I put thee in remembrance that thou stir up the gift of God, which is in thee by the putting on of my hands. 7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
In these verses, Paul challenged Timothy, his son in the gospel to stir up the gift that was in him seeing that he was a part of a legacy of faith that had been in his grandmother and his mother. They had a faith that was real and had passed down from one generation to another. They had a faith that was without hypocrisy, a sincere faith that sustained them. It is one thing to profess to have faith, but it is altogether another to live out that faith. In this day and time while the enemy is oppressing, you must have a faith that can stand against him. One of his tactics is to use the spirit of fear to intimidate and hinder the progress of the believer. If your faith is to battle against fear, it is imperative that you understand a few things about fear:
I. The spirit of fear does not come from God and that it is an evil spirit that opposes God and all that is called God. It is of the son of perdition, the Antichrist. (2Thes 2:4) He wants to cause believers to fear because he knows the fearful are placed in the same category as real bad sinners.
A. Rev 21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.
1. The fearful is listed first in this verse. This is evident of unbelief. I believe fear causes people to commit other sins.
B. 2Tim 1:7 “For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.” (A triangle of protection.)
II. To submit to the spirit of fear is completely out of character for the born again believer. God has given us everything that we need to battle against the spirit of fear. He has given us:
A. The spirit of power.
1. Luke 10: Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you.
2. Mk 16:17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils;
3. Mk 16:18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.
B. The spirit of love.
1. Which enables us first to love the Lord. 1John 4:19 “We love him, because he first loved us.”
2. The spirit of love enables us to love one another. Jn 15:12 “This is my commandment, that ye love one another, as I have loved you.”
3. The spirit of love enables us to love even our enemies. Matt 5: But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;