Summary: CAN GOD BE COUNTED ON TO KEEP HIS PROMISES?
CAN GOD BE COUNTED ON TO KEEP HIS PROMISES?
I. (:1-4) GOD’S LOVINGKINDNESS AND FAITHFULNESS REFLECTED IN HIS PROMISE OF THE DAVIDIC COVENANT
A. The Unchanging Character of God Spurs an Unchanging Pattern of Praise
1. Praise for God’s Lovingkindness
"to all generations"
"built up forever"
2. Praise for God’s Faithfulness
established "in the heavens"
B. The Promise of the Davidic Covenant is Based Totally on God’s Initiative
1. Initiated with God’s Elect people = David and his seed ("My chosen" /
2. Sealed with God’s Oath ("I have sworn")
3. Guaranteed down through the ages
"establish your seed forever"
"build up your throne to all generations"
II. (:5-10) NOBODY CAN COMPARE TO THE LORD IN POWER AND MAJESTY
A. Testimony of the Heavens = the Lord is Unique in Power and Majesty
"the assembly of the holy ones" / "sons of the mighty" / "council of the
these are references to angels
B. Testimony Confirmed by the Lord’s Control over Nature (:9)
C. Testimony Guaranteed by Destruction of all Enemies (:10)
III. (:11-29) THE LORD WILL ESTABLISH THE THRONE OF DAVID IN POWER AND MAJESTY
A. (:11-13) The Lord is Able to Keep His Promise Because:
1. He is the Creator and Owner of All (:11-12)
2. He has a strong Right Hand (:13)
B. (:14-18) The Throne Established by God Brings Blessing and Security
a.. The Blessing of God’s Character in Action
Righteousness and Justice
Lovingkindness and Truth
b. The Blessing of the Presence and Favor of God
a. The Security of God’s Strength
b. The Security of God’s Protection
C. (:19-29) The Promise of the Davidic Covenant Spelled out in Detail
1. (:19-20) Selection of David
2. (:21-23) Strengthening and Protection against Enemies
3. (:24-27) Exaltation to the Heights of Majesty and Power
all done in accordance with God’s faithfulness and lovingkindness (:24)
4. (:28-29) Permanent Fulfillment Guaranteed
IV. (:30-37) EVEN TRANSGRESSIONS WILL NOT ANNUL GOD’S COVENANT WITH DAVID
A. (:30-32) Temporary Discipline -- YES
1. Nature of Unfaithfulness
"forsake My law"
"do not walk in My judgments"
"violate My statutes"
"do not keep My commandments"
2. Nature of Discipline
"visit their transgression with the rod"
"and their iniquity with stripes"
B. (:33-35) Permanent Rejection -- NEVER
"I will not break off My lovingkindness from him"
"nor deal falsely in My faithfulness"
"My covenant I will not violate"
"nor will I alter the utterance of My lips".Read my lips!
"Once I have sworn by My holiness"
"I will not lie to David"
C. (:36-37) Promise Repeated (so there can be no doubt)
1. Application of the Promise -- Relates to:
2. Duration of the Promise -- "endure forever" / like the sun
3. Guarantee of the Promise: by the witness of the unchanging sun and moon
V. (:38-45) IT SURE LOOKS LIKE GOD HAS RENEGED ON HIS COVENANT WITH DAVID
"reneged" = to play the wrong card; to go back on one’s word
A. The Despair of Rejection (rather than Favor)
B. The Despair of Wrath (rather than Lovingkindness)
C. The Despair of Humiliation and Reproach (rather than Glory and Majesty)
D. The Despair of Destruction and Defeat (rather than Protection and Victory)
VI. (:46-51) WHEN WILL GOD TURN AROUND AND FULFILL HIS PROMISE?
A. (:46-48) The Critical Issue of Timing ("How long, O Lord?")
B. (:49-51) The Critical Issue of Reputation
God and His people are being reproached
God’s faithfulness is at stake
(:52) DOXOLOGY "Blessed be the Lord forever! Amen and Amen."
This is actually the close of Book III of the Psalms
* * * * * * * * * *
1) What things are described as being “forever” in this psalm? What did the concept of forever mean to the psalmist?
2) How has God demonstrated His faithfulness in your life? What promises of God have been most precious to you?
3) How has God taken the initiative to gift you in a special way for ministry and to equip you to bear fruit for Him? How did God take the initiative in David’s life and cause him to be successful?
4) When things look their bleakest and the promises of God seem to come up short, can we still rejoice with the psalmist: “blessed by the Lord forever!”?
Download the entire Psalms commentary in pdf format
(including notes on each psalm from other commentators)