Summary: WE MUST FALL DOWN AND WORSHIP JESUS BECAUSE HE IS THE ONLY ONE WORTHY OF ALL OUR WORSHIP!
FALL DOWN AND WORSHIP
REVELATION 1: 4-8/ 5:1-14
EASTER SUNDAY, MARCH 31, 2002
INTRODUCTION: The Little Girl byJohn M. Montgomery
Her parents never took the young girl to church
Never spoke of his name; never read her his word
Two non-believers walkin’ lost in this world
Took their baby with them, what a sad little girl
Her daddy drank all day and mommy did drugs
Never wanted to play or give kisses and hugs
She’d watch the TV and sit there on the couch
While her mom fell asleep and her daddy went out
And the drinking and the fighting just got worse every night
Behind their couch she’d be hiding, oh what a sad little life
And like it always does the bad just got worse
With every slap and every curse
Until her daddy, in a drunk rage one night,
Used a gun on her mom and then took his life
And some people from the city took the girl far away
To a new mom and a new dad, kisses and hugs every day
Her first day of Sunday school the teacher walked in
And a small little girl stared at a picture of him
She said I know that man up there on that cross
I don’t know his name, but I know he got off
Cause he was there in my old house, and held me close to his side
As I hid there behind our couch, the night that my parents died
TRANSITION THOUGHT: This morning as we gather together for the highest point of the Christian Year, the day we celebrate the Resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ from the dead, do we believe He is Risen? The little Girl in this song testifies to us that He is no longer on the Cross, nor is He in the GRAVE! He is alive and here with us! Many lives here today testify to this same fact. We gather today in Hope testifying to our belief that the resurrection is fact and not fiction. And because we believe, WE FALL DOWN AND WORSHIP THE ONE WHO IS WORTHY!
THESIS SENTENCE: WE MUST FALL DOWN AND WORSHIP JESUS BECAUSE HE IS THE ONLY ONE WORTHY OF ALL OUR WORSHIP!
I. JESUS IS WORTHY BECAUSE OF HIS DEATH
A. “Who is worthy?” The cry rings out.
1. Rev. 5 opens with a discouraging thought, much like the reality of the day in which we live.
2. No one is found worthy. Was it for lack of looking? Was every candidate offered an opportunity?
3. Our text (5:3) states “No one in heaven or on earth or under the earth could open the scroll or even look inside it.”
4. No one was worthy to see the Holiness of God, to know the truth of God, to understand the Plan of God.
5. Do you ever wonder, is anyone worthy? Is anyone worthy of our respect? Is anyone worthy of our loyalty? Is anyone worthy of all our allegiance? So many voices call out to us demanding our attention, but who is worthy?
B. Is Any One Worthy?
1. Has He really?
2. The Easter story is not the typical triumphant story of one overcoming great odds and winning the victory.
ILLUSTRATION: I guess we have all seen the “Rocky” movies. I love those movies. The underdog sort of wins the first fight in that he survives all 15 rounds. In the following sequels, he always ends up being the underdog who overcomes all the obstacles to win the day. We like that kind of stuff. The little guy does what no one says he can do. I am waiting for “Rocky 25” when Rocky Balboa comes out of the nursing home to defeat The Martian Heavyweight Champion of the universe. IT COULD HAPPEN!
4. But, let’s get back to our story. He was born in poverty. He lived in somewhat obscurity. He died as a criminal. DID YOU GET THAT: HE DIED!
5. IS THIS THE WAY THE STORY IS SUPPOSED TO END?
C. He has Triumphant
1. Now how is this that one of the Elders can say, “He has triumphed.”
ILLUSTRATION: ISAIAH 53: 9-12, “He was assigned a grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death, though he had done no violence, nor was nay deceit in his mouth. Yet it was the Lord’s will to crush him and cause him to suffer, and though the Lord makes his life a guilt offering, he will see his offspring and prolong his days, and the will of the Lord will prosper in his hand. After the suffering of his soul, he will see the light of life and be satisfied, by his knowledge my righteous servant will justify many, and he will bear their iniquities. Therefore I will give him a portion among the great, and he will divide the spoils with the strong, because he poured out his life unto death, and was numbered with the transgressors. For he bore the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.”