Summary: We are living in an age of intellectualism. The Church must be ware of wrong teachings and ideas that do harm to the body of Christ.
Falsies affecting the Church today
1. The idea that every church is a good church.
Things we hear people say;
1. As long as I am going to a church that is all that matters.
-Not true! not every church preaches the correct Gospel. There is even the church of Satan.
-There are so called Churches that deny the deity of Jesus Christ, the Jehovah Witnesses being one.
-To the Mormons Jesus is the brother of Lucifer (This is not the Jesus of the Bible)
*1 John 2:22, “Who is the liar? It is the man who denies that Jesus is the Christ. Such a man is the antichrist—he denies the Father and the Son. No one who denies the Son has the Father; whoever acknowledges the Son has the Father also. See that what you have heard from the beginning remains in you. If it does, you also will remain in the Son and in the Father. And this is what he promised us—even eternal life
#2. Another false thing is that every religion leads to God.
Jesus said; “I am the way, the truth and the life and no one goes to the father except thru me”.
-Jesus is the only mediator between God and man.
- Religion only makes us conscious that God really exist. But only through Jesus Christ can we have a relationship with Him.
#3. Some say that Jesus is not God.
* John 1:1-5, In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4In him was life, and that life was the light of men. 5 The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understooda it.
John affirms three vital truths about the Word (Christ):
1. He existed in the beginning; Greek-(arche)=ORIGIN OR THE DATELESS PAST BEFORE ANYTHING WAS CREATED
2. He was with God (lit. “Face-to-face with God”);
3. In His divine nature He was indeed God. Verse 3 says; “All of creation came into being through Him. Compare with *Gen.1:1 that says; “In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth”
A central truth of the Christian faith.
God became a man and dwelt temporarily among us.
The God who dwelt in the OT tabernacle now came as a human being. The apostles and other witnesses beheld His divine glory in His miracles (2:11), crucifixion and His resurrection.
*Hebrews 1:1, In the past God spoke to our forefathers through the prophets at many times and in various ways, 2 but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom he made the universe. 3 The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven. 4 So he became as much superior to the angels as the name he has inherited is superior to theirs. 5 For to which of the angels did God ever say, “You are my Son; today I have become your Fathera”b? Or again, “I will be his Father, and he will be my Son”c? 6 And again, when God brings his firstborn into the world, he says, “Let all God’s angels worship him.”d 7 In speaking of the angels he says, “He makes his angels winds, his servants flames of fire.”e 8 But about the Son he says, “Your throne, O God, will last for ever and ever, and righteousness will be the scepter of your kingdom.