Summary: This is the second sermon in a 5 part sermon series on the mission of our church.
The Redeeming River Church is a family of believers committed to preaching the cross with conviction, reaching the lost with compassion, and equipping the saints with the Word!
Three results of not understanding the Mission.
1. Plateaued Growth - growth seems to reach a certain level and then drop back down
2. Internal Conflict - constant infighting caused by an ignorance of what should be happening
3. Low Moral - leaders become discouraged when structure or bureaucracy stymies their vision for growth
I. THE BODY HAS DIFFERENT MEMBERS
A. MEMBERS ARE NEEDED IN THE BODY
1. Can you imagine having 4 eyes instead of 2 ears and 2 eyes?
2. You need to be able to see, but you also need to be able to hear
3. You need an arm to lift a hand to pick something up
4. You need a foot on the end of a leg or you might as well not have the leg
5. Without a heart your blood couldn’t get to your other members
6. Without a head the parts of the body that have blood flow would not be able to move
7. The problem in many churches today is that they have a
o head without the heart
o heart without the head
o leg without the foot
o arm without the hand
15 If the foot shall say, Because I am not the hand, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body?
16 And if the ear shall say, Because I am not the eye, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body?
17 If the whole body were an eye, where were the hearing? If the whole were hearing, where were the smelling?
18 But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him.
19 And if they were all one member, where were the body?
B. SOME MEMBERS THINK THAT THEY ARE THE ONLY BODY MEMBER
20 But now are they many members, yet but one body.
21 And the eye cannot say unto the hand, I have no need of thee: nor again the head to the feet, I have no need of you.
22 Nay, much more those members of the body, which seem to be more feeble, are necessary:
23 And those members of the body, which we think to be less honourable, upon these we bestow more abundant honour; and our uncomely parts have more abundant comeliness.
2. It’s like a big toe who wants to be painted up real pretty, but how dare the whole body take a shower
3. Some folks think that because they have a vision, a dream, an idea, that all other parts of the body should immediatly drop there dreams and jump on the new one
4. No matter how much the hand wants to pick up that big piece of chocolate
5. The head has to tell the arm and the arm has to tell the hand and the hand must pick it up and then take it to the mouth
6. Illustration: An organs point of view
Have you ever thought about what it would be like if the members of our physical bodies behaved like the members of the spiritual body sometimes do?
o HEART: "You know, I’m just stuck in a rut. For the last 45 years all I do is beat and beat. Lub, dub... lub, dub... lub, dub... I’m tired of it. It’s time for someone else to step up and do this job. Okay, feet, it’s up to you. You pump the blood.