Summary: Families are not always fun. We tend to be quite dysfunctional! But families are God’s design and we need to value it, work at it, and celebrate families!
FAMILY – YOURS TO DISCOVER!
- Festival – an event that focuses on a specific aspect of a community
- Types – Jazz Fest, Film Fests, Food Rodeo, Strawberry!
- This weekend – Family Fest – an event that focuses on the specific aspect of Family!
- Slogan – Ontario License Plate: Yours to Discover! becomes Family – Yours to Discover! Or Rediscover? Google “busy families” and you’ll get at least 589,000 websites (50 Google pages!) that have something to say about it!
- I Google-searched “Family” in the Bible and got 413 responses. I’d like to highlight 5 very important points that stood out in my search.
1. Families are God’s design for all of us
- Creation – everything perfect. Adam & Eve disobeyed God; separated from God and we’ve been spiraling out of control ever since. The days of Noah as recorded in the first Book of the Bible – a world-wide flood because people’s behaviour was grossly offensive to God. One family cared about what God had to say – Noah, his wife, their three sons and their wives.
- The ark – 150 days / 17 months later, the flood began to recede. They got off the boat and God gave them a bunch of instructions about food, relationships with other people, their relationship with God and the rainbow sign that he would never bring such devastation on the earth again. He gave them one other instruction – Genesis 9:7 (quickview) …
- Procreation was always God’s plan. Relationship between a man and woman was always part of that pro-creative plan; that we live in a structured community called family!
- Whether married with children, widowed, extended divorced or single, your current family realities must be nurtured and given careful attention
2. Families are vitally important
- Families are not always fun. We tend to be quite dysfunctional! But families are God’s design and we need to value it, work at it, and celebrate families! Families are critical to a balanced life.
Statistics Canada Survey in 2005 – “Even before a marital breakup, young children of parents heading for divorce tend to develop mental health problems. Children whose parents eventually divorce show higher levels of depression, as well as higher levels of anti-social behaviour, than children whose parents remain married.”
- Who can put a price tag on the value of family when in crisis – e.g. Danny’s story!
"The family, though the smallest and seemingly most fragile of institutions (is) proving itself to be humankind’s bedrock as well as it’s fault line (whose) strength lies in the cohesion and loyalty of the parent-child unit around which larger worlds of household and kin, community and nation necessarily revolve". Steven Ozement (author)
Layman’s note: what society looks like depends on what happens in the home and the measure of loyalty to the family.
3. God intends worship to be a family affair