Summary: God has a design for your life, therefore we do not want to drift through life, without a course and a cause. We want to remember our divine calling. We want to ignore earthly distractions.
We’ve just completed WHY I BELIEVE study series. We heard at length about creation and evolution.
• Something really stands out for me – God’s deliberate design!
• If this universe is so well-made, orderly, consistent… if this material world is created with such delicate beauty, wisdom and design, then think for a moment, what about us?
• We have the TOUCH of the Master’s hand! Moreover we are made in His likeness.
• Can our lives be ordinary, if we are not products of random chance?
Ps 139:13-16 “For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. 14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. 15 My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, 16 your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.”
Eph 2:10 “For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.”
God has a design for your life. If this world wasn’t left to chance, how can we be? How could God have made lives to be aimless and without purpose?
• The truth is we are divinely made for a grand purpose; we are fashioned for greatness!
• If we are mesmerised by the universe and its greatness, then we must stand in awe of our own lives, and its greatness.
We cannot allow this life to simply drift on! We cannot waste this life, because by doing so we are doing God a great injustice. We are robbing God of His glory.
• We are not aimless creatures roaming on earth. We are divinely made, with a divine purpose. Our life is a divine-purpose-driven life.
God’s call is for us to live a life worthy of His calling. We are to be disciples of Christ who will make disciples for Christ.
• We are put on earth for this. And when it is done, Jesus will return for us.
We do not, therefore, live to "get the most out of life". We live to GIVE to life. We are called to GIVE to this world, so that this world can be changed.
• This is God's purpose for your life, and mine. Whether you are called to be a pastor or missionary full-time, or a teacher, mechanic, home-maker, student, or whatever.
1. REMEMBER YOUR DIVINE CALLING
Many years ago there was this TV comedy called SEINFELD. Millions of people loved the show when it was aired. A college drama department did a study to find out why Seinfeld was so popular. Their conclusion: its plot-less programming.
Seinfeld just move aimlessly from one scene, one circumstance to the next without connection. No ties, no obligations, no responsibilities of any kind. He personifies a free agent living a free life. The department studies show that people who lead plot-less lives likes plot-less TV programs.
This “plotlessness” is prevalent today. People move from one circumstance to another, one stage of life to the next, without purpose.
• They move from school to college, from university to their first job.
• They are dying to be successful, to get rich, dying to get married and dying to have kids. They are dying to get them to universities, and then out of the house (get married off).
• Then they’re dying to retire, only to find out that they are dying – and never knowing why they are alive in the first place.
We are different. We must be different, because we KNOW a purpose.
• We don’t drift through life; we navigate towards a cause. We know where we want to go (I hope).
• We cannot be victims of the circumstances because God’s hands are in them.
• God changes us to change the world. He has a plot and we are in that plot.
If you believe this, then nothing in life is pointless. Nothing can be meaningless.
• No one day is a dull day, from that perspective. God is actively engaged in our world and in our life today.
• Every day is a day where His eternal purposes are being fulfilled, if you are allowing Him to.
• This is not a dream. This is real, if we see life the way God sees it. It is always His purpose-driven life.
God’s will is for everyone to be a disciple and a disciple-maker!
• This gives your life great significance and value.
The word ‘disciple-maker’ may sound BIG to you but simply put, it means we are to influence others to KNOW Christ and BE like Christ.