Summary: FASTING 2018 . Fasting does not give us power to heal the sick or cast out demons. God's Word does that. Fasting brings us in the place where we can believe God’s Word. We are drawn closer to the Lord.
FASTING 2018 (First if this way the only promise I had it would be enough)
Mark 9:23 Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth. 24 And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief. 25 When Jesus saw that the people came running together, he rebuked the foul spirit, saying unto him, Thou dumb and deaf spirit, I charge thee, come out of him, and enter no more into him. 26 And the spirit cried, and rent him sore, and came out of him: and he was as one dead; insomuch that many said, He is dead. 27 But Jesus took him by the hand, and lifted him up; and he arose. 28 And when he was come into the house, his disciples asked him privately, Why could not we cast him out? 29 And he said unto them, This kind can come forth by nothing, but by prayer and fasting……
A. . Fasting does not give us power to heal the sick or cast out demons.
God's Word does that. Fasting brings us in the place where we can believe
God’s Word. We are drawn closer to the Lord.
- Matt 17:21 Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting.
- Matt 17:20 And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Fasting does not bring the answer, it brings you into the place that you can see and receive the answer.
I. The purpose of Fasting in a Christian’s life.
Isaiah 58:6-7 (NKJV) 6 “Is this not the fast that I have chosen:
To loose the bonds of wickedness,
To undo the heavy burdens,
To let the oppressed go free,
And that you break every yoke?
7 Is it not to share your bread with the hungry,
And that you bring to your house the poor who are cast out;
When you see the naked, that you cover him,
And not hide yourself from your own flesh?
Fasting On That Day. An officer in the Turkish War told his men that if they died in battle, they would sup with Christ in Paradise. The officer fled. When asked why he did not wish to sup with Christ, he said that he was fasting that day.
B: Fasting will brings Blessing afterwards.
- Isa 58:8 Then shall thy light break forth as the morning, and thine health shall spring forth speedily: and thy righteousness shall go before thee; the glory of the LORD shall be thy reward.
- Isa 58:9 Then shalt thou call, and the LORD shall answer; thou shalt cry, and he shall say, Here I am. If thou take away from the midst of thee the yoke, the putting forth of the finger, and speaking vanity;
- Isa 58:10 And if thou draw out thy soul to the hungry, and satisfy the afflicted soul; then shall thy light rise in obscurity, and thy darkness be as the noonday:
- Isa 58:11 And the LORD shall guide thee continually, and satisfy thy soul in drought, and make fat thy bones: and thou shalt be like a watered garden, and like a spring of water, whose waters fail not.
- Isa 58:12 And they that shall be of thee shall build the old waste places: thou shalt raise up the foundations of many generations; and thou shalt be called, The repairer of the breach, The restorer of paths to dwell in.
1. I have heard how that when some people fast they see visions, angels etc. However, when I fast I have visions of fried chicken, buffets and if I sleep I dream about it. However, I can truly say that afterwards, I seem to feel the closeness of the Lord. I know He is there all the time, but I seem to become more award of Him. Luke 9:23 And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.
II. Fasting is a call to all people, with a special call to ministers
Joel 1:14 Sanctify ye a fast, call a solemn assembly, gather the elders and all the inhabitants of the land into the house of the LORD your God, and cry unto the LORD,
A. Thank God we have a Pastor who calls to this needed blessing FASTING AND PRAYER.
III. What are we to do with fasting?
A. Prayer goes hand in hand with fasting?
B. If we fast without prayer then is good for only losing weight.