Summary: It’s time to come down from the stands –stop being His fan and become His friend.
FEED MY SHEEP
15. When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon son of John, do you truly love me more than these?" "Yes, Lord," he said, "you know that I love you." Jesus said, "Feed my lambs."
16. Again Jesus said, "Simon son of John, do you truly love me?" He answered, "Yes, Lord, you know that I love you." Jesus said, "Take care of my sheep."
17. The third time he said to him, "Simon son of John, do you love me?" Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, "Do you love me?" He said, "Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you." Jesus said, "Feed my sheep.
15. "But what about you?" he asked. "Who do you say I am?"
16. Simon Peter answered, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."
17. Jesus replied, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven.
18. And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it.
19. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven."
21. From that time on Jesus began to explain to his disciples that he must go…be killed and on the third day be raised to life.
22. Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him. "Never, Lord!" he said. "This shall never happen to you!"
33. Peter replied, "Even if all fall away on account of you, I never will."
33. But he replied, "Lord, I am ready to go with you to prison and to death."
10. Then Simon Peter, who had a sword, drew it and struck the high priest’s servant, cutting off his right ear.
Simon Peter. President of the Jesus fan club. He’s Jesus’ biggest fan. A fanatic in the finest sense of the word. If Jesus had been a football team, Peter would have been the one the camera man always manages to find…naked from the waist up in 20 degree weather with "JESUS" plastered in red or blue across his chest…his face checkered with the sign of the fish…a huge foam Cross or the hand making the sign of "number one" with "Jesus –The only way to Heaven" on it. Maybe even an enormous poster : Messiah Rules!.
Jesus has been on a winning streak. Peter is proud to be a fan.
There were some close games.
Like the one that ended in sudden death overtime. Lazarus experienced a sudden death. And over-time, when Jesus finally got there – he’d been dead 4 days. Panic struck the crowd. It seemed the terror of the grave had won. But Jesus, in championship form, dug deep and defeated Death.
But overall, Jesus had had a pretty successful season. No one doubted the Messiah ruled when He overcame natural law multiplying 2 fish and 5 loaves into a feast for 5,000.
Peter was there for every event. Front row seat.
Time after time Jesus met the best and most intimidating the world had to offer: Sickness, Blindness, Leprosy… Most times, Jesus never even broke a sweat.