Summary: The importance of spiritual gifts to the body of Christ.
THE CHURCH TRIUMPHANT:
FELLOWSHIP AND SPIRITUAL GIFTS
I. PRINCIPLE OF RESPONSIBLE CHRISTIAN SERVICE VS 1,2
A. Our theology affects our practice. "Therefore"
B. Foundation - a sacrificial life- offer yourself
C. Building - transformation - remodeling
D. Finishing work - renewal - test and approve God’s will
II. THE PRINCIPLE OF SOBER EVALUATION VS 3
A. Two problems with gifts - overvaluation - arrogance (misuse of gifts) undervaluation - denial of God’s gift in one’s life.
B. Measure of faith - reminds us of our need to constantly evaluate our use of our gifts for God. To over use is spiritual pride to under use is bad stewardship.
III. PRINCIPLE OF UNITY IN DIVERSITY VS 4-5
Two important truths: no one can do it all, and everyone must do their assigned tasks.
B. Common good
IV. PRINCIPLE OF UNIVERSAL GIFTEDNESS VS 6
A.There are no spectators in the body of Christ.
B. All members of the body must work together if the church is to operate at full effectiveness.
1. I Cor 12:8-10 - emphasizes what Corinthian church valued in spiritual gifts.
2. I Cor 12:28-29 - places these gifts with other ministry gifts. Paul’s attempt to stretch the knowledge of the Corinthians by demonstrating service and leadership functions. He emphasized the importance of these gifts to the life of the church.
3. Eph 4:11 -includes gifts of individuals who serve in different functions within the church.
D. Criteria for spiritual gifts
1. It must be recognized and acknowledged as a gracious gift of the sovereign God.
2. Once our talents and abilities have been discerned to be gracious gifts from God, they must be surrendered to His lordship.
3. Our gifts must be used for the service of the Body of Christ.