Summary: How did Jesus walk? And how can I apply it to my life, so that I may have increased fellowship with God? God has shown me 10 crucial ways in which Jesus, our example, has walked that we need to apply to our lives today.
Title: Keys To Fellowship With God
Sub-Title: The Foundation Of Christlikeness
Text: I John 2:6
One day a father of a very wealthy family took his son on a trip to the country with the firm purpose of showing his son how poor people live.
They spent a couple of days and nights on the farm of what would be considered a very poor family. On their return from their trip, the father asked his son, "How was the trip?"
" It was great, Dad."
"Did you see how poor people live?" the father asked.
"Oh yeah," said the son.
"So, tell me, what did you learn from the trip?" asked the father.
The son answered: "I saw that we have one dog and they had four. We have a pool that reaches to the middle of our garden and they have a creek that has no end. We have imported lanterns in our garden and they have the stars at night. Our patio reaches to the front yard and they have the whole horizon.
We have a small piece of land to live on and they have fields that go beyond our sight. We have servants who serve us, but they serve theirs.
We buy our food, but they grow theirs. We have walls around our property to protect us, they have friends to protect them."
The boy’s father was speechless. Then his son added, "Thanks, Dad, for showing me how poor we are."
- When I read this story I am reminded of Canada and how blessed we are to live in this country. Despite the problems and decisions that have been made, God has blessed and is continuing to bless this nation still.
- But this story can also apply to us as Christians.
- Meaning, instead of seeing what we don’t have, lets be thankful for what God has already given us, the beauty and vastness of our planet. The Bible says, “the meek shall inherit the earth.”
- One day we will rule and reign with Christ for a 1000 years, and thus enjoy the vastness of the world.
- Also there’s a strong parallel with the Spiritual aspect.
- Meaning sometimes we get focused on the everyday things of life, like food, money, clothing, payments, power, prestige etc, that we fail to change on the inside and become more like Jesus.
- Just like the Father was teaching his boy a lesson in appreciation, so God teaches us His standard of living. God always wants us to be changing on the inside.
- At times we may not like changing, but we need to see the importance of being changed on the inside, it gives us increased fellowship with God.
- How did Jesus walk? And how can I apply it to my life, so that I may have increased fellowship with God?
- God has shown me 10 crucial ways in which Jesus, our example, has walked that we need to apply to our lives today.
* Before we look into these 10 points this morning, let me emphasize that God is not looking for perfection. We need a Savior and His name is Jesus Christ. We will fail, fall short and sin and we will need forgiveness from the Lord. Understand God is not looking for perfection, but rather a desire in our hearts that truly want to live the way Jesus lived.
When we strive to live the way Jesus lived, we will increase everyday in our fellowship with God. Jesus was perfect and without sin, but we are like the disciples, human, and in need of a Savior. That Savior being Jesus Christ.*