Summary: God’s Word… the word that saves you abides forever!
1. This whole chapter flows from the pen, from the heart of a pastor… a shepherd.
a. Peter… often remembered for his failures, for his mishaps, for his stumblings, and trip ups…
b. He’s just the one that God says, I can use that man!
c. Notice with me what Paul says in 1 Corinthians 1.26-31
I would have loved to have Peter as my pastor… to sit under his teaching, to watch his leadership, to serve alongside of him.
• As we read his letters we hear his heart, his care, his concern.
• The church wasn’t a business to him… it was Jesus.
• Everything was about Jesus.
• His heart was to win people to Jesus Christ!
• His heart was to disciple people in Jesus.
• His heart was to send people out to win others to Jesus!
APP: And you know, it’s our heart too. Win – Disciple – Send.
• Every moment of every day is a gift from Jesus.
• Our lives aren’t to be spent on ourselves, just flittered away.
• BUT invested in the lives of others.
Jesus lived for people… died & rose again the 3rd day for people…
• Yes… the people you might be mad at right now.
• And Yes, the people you might be holding a grudge against.
• And yes, the people that hurt you, harmed you…
APP: 2 things will go into eternity… souls of men & Word of God.
• NOT our gold, our cars, our houses, our trinkets, our toys.
• NOT our businesses, or education, or degrees or earthly pursuits.
NOTE: That’s where Pastor Peter is here at the end of CH1.
• “Guys, I know you’re struggling. I know you’re down.”
• Times are tough. Situations are serious.
• But isn’t it great to know Jesus in times like this?
• That’s really what’s he’s doing… taking them back to their relationship with Him.
• You’ve been saved, chosen by God, born again to a living hope, awaiting an incorruptible inheritance.
• You’re kept by the power of God, your genuine faith is being revealed, you love is growing…
• SO Gird up the loins of your mind, rest your hope fully on His grace… live holy lives
• As God values your life more than any earthly possession…
SO THE QUESTION FOR US IS: Where do we take people when they come to us for counsel? When we hear of their difficult times?
• Well, I just give them my opinion and my wise thoughts.
• OR, I pray with them, but then go tell everyone I know about their problems!
• OR, I pat them on the back and send them on their way.
LISTEN guys… what they need in times like these are a high minded opinion or a low minded gossip…
• Peter says we need to give them FERVANT LOVE & God’s FAITHFUL WORD! – Read through vv22-25
I. (1:22) FERVENT LOVE
1. (22) Fervent…
a. We’ve seen this word before… look back at James 5:16
b. Literally, “hot-hearted, passionate, continual & intense”
c. James uses the word in relation to prayer.
d. It’s a great word that’s used many times in the NT.
Jesus uses it in relation to desire…
Luke 22.15 Then He said to them, "With fervent desire I have desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer;
Paul uses it in relation to serving…
Romans 12.10-11 Be kindly affectionate to one another with brotherly love, in honor giving preference to one another; 11 not lagging in diligence, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord;
Now Peter uses it in relation to love.
See how it all flows? You’ve been saved, you’ve been loved by God, we’ve been given life by God…
• NOW let God’s love flow through you to the rest your family of faith… passionately, continually.
Peter actually uses 2 different words for love here…
• First he uses the word ‘philadelphia’… brotherly love.
• The wonderful, kind, and special family type of love.
• Then he uses the word, ‘agapao’, self-sacrificial & giving…
• The kind of love shown in John 3:16…
John 3.16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
AND OH how we enjoy both here in the family of Calvary Aurora!
• When you love the Lord and know how much He loves us, then you naturally love the children of God.
• Let’s flip over to 1 John 3:14ff
• Love… that laughs with those who laugh.
• Love… that cries with those who cry.
• Love… that serves, gives, sacrifices, thinks of others more highly than ourselves.
• Love… that helps when there is help needed.