Summary: God’s Word… the word that saves you abides forever!
1. This whole chapter flows from the pen, from the heart of a pastor… a shepherd.
a. Peter… often remembered for his failures, for his mishaps, for his stumblings, and trip ups…
b. He’s just the one that God says, I can use that man!
c. Notice with me what Paul says in 1 Corinthians 1.26-31
I would have loved to have Peter as my pastor… to sit under his teaching, to watch his leadership, to serve alongside of him.
• As we read his letters we hear his heart, his care, his concern.
• The church wasn’t a business to him… it was Jesus.
• Everything was about Jesus.
• His heart was to win people to Jesus Christ!
• His heart was to disciple people in Jesus.
• His heart was to send people out to win others to Jesus!
APP: And you know, it’s our heart too. Win – Disciple – Send.
• Every moment of every day is a gift from Jesus.
• Our lives aren’t to be spent on ourselves, just flittered away.
• BUT invested in the lives of others.
Jesus lived for people… died & rose again the 3rd day for people…
• Yes… the people you might be mad at right now.
• And Yes, the people you might be holding a grudge against.
• And yes, the people that hurt you, harmed you…
APP: 2 things will go into eternity… souls of men & Word of God.
• NOT our gold, our cars, our houses, our trinkets, our toys.
• NOT our businesses, or education, or degrees or earthly pursuits.
NOTE: That’s where Pastor Peter is here at the end of CH1.
• “Guys, I know you’re struggling. I know you’re down.”
• Times are tough. Situations are serious.
• But isn’t it great to know Jesus in times like this?
• That’s really what’s he’s doing… taking them back to their relationship with Him.
• You’ve been saved, chosen by God, born again to a living hope, awaiting an incorruptible inheritance.
• You’re kept by the power of God, your genuine faith is being revealed, you love is growing…
• SO Gird up the loins of your mind, rest your hope fully on His grace… live holy lives
• As God values your life more than any earthly possession…
SO THE QUESTION FOR US IS: Where do we take people when they come to us for counsel? When we hear of their difficult times?
• Well, I just give them my opinion and my wise thoughts.
• OR, I pray with them, but then go tell everyone I know about their problems!
• OR, I pat them on the back and send them on their way.
LISTEN guys… what they need in times like these are a high minded opinion or a low minded gossip…
• Peter says we need to give them FERVANT LOVE & God’s FAITHFUL WORD! – Read through vv22-25
I. (1:22) FERVENT LOVE
1. (22) Fervent…
a. We’ve seen this word before… look back at James 5:16
b. Literally, “hot-hearted, passionate, continual & intense”
c. James uses the word in relation to prayer.
d. It’s a great word that’s used many times in the NT.
Jesus uses it in relation to desire…
Luke 22.15 Then He said to them, "With fervent desire I have desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer;
Paul uses it in relation to serving…
Romans 12.10-11 Be kindly affectionate to one another with brotherly love, in honor giving preference to one another; 11 not lagging in diligence, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord;