Summary: It really takes a godly man, a godly woman to say no when the pressure is on.
1. CONFIDENCE. We left off last week with 3 men who stood their ground before the leader of the known world!
a. It wasn’t new. Their confidence began early in their youth, continued through the teenage years, and now tested again!
b. Before the king, they stood with, answered in, ASSURANCE.
c. It’s the type of trust believers of all time share.
d. Men and women who love God, trust Him more & more.
e. I believe Job said it best!
Job 13.15 Though He slay me, yet will I trust Him. Even so, I will defend my own ways before Him.
WHEN YOU REALLY THINK ABOUT IT…
• HOW EASY it would have been to compromise.
• There were a lot of options they could’ve chosen.
• They could’ve given in, just a little.
• I mean, who would know? Who would care?
• What’s ONE BOW to this dumb statue. At least we’d live.
• And if we stay alive, well then we can tell others about God!
• We’re living in Babylon now, why worship like we did in Israel?
• IT doesn’t matter anymore. Things have changed!
• They faced the same RATIONALIZATIONS that come to us!
YET we find them calm/cool/confident before the king.
• They were ready, and refused to negotiate!
• Our God will deliver us! Even if he doesn’t we won’t bow.
• As we saw last time, they did not COMPROMISE!
NOTE: IT really takes a GODLY MAN, A GODLY WOMAN to say NO when the pressure is on.
• To have in their heart an attitude of, “I don’t care if they laugh at me. I don’t care if I’m not invited to the next party.”
• “I won’t, I can’t, disobey my Jesus!”
• And even though they didn’t know the passage yet, they certainly lived it. Let’s look at Romans 12:1-2
• They were not CONFORMED to this world, but transformed.
• A TRANSFORMED LIFE then begins to TRANSFORM those around him… and things really begin to change!
WELL, their decision came with a consequence.
• This morning, Nebuchadnezzar responds to their commitment to God and reacts and responds very violently (NO SURPRISE)
I. (3.19-23) Prompt Judgment
1. (19) Into the Fiery Furnace.
a. Nebuchadnezzar is enraged, out of control, angry!
b. He’s not used to anyone rebelling or refusing his commands.
c. Notice, you could see it on his face. No more chances!
d. Can you imagine being in his presence and seeing him blow his stack like this?!
e. Heat it up 7 times hotter than normal! What?
f. The pressure on these 3 young men was hotter and stronger than ever… but they don’t back down.
2. (20-23) Throw them in!
a. They are taken and thrown into this pit!
NOTE: It’s easy at this point to wonder a little. How tragic!
• Here are these guys that trust God with all their heart and they get thrown in the fire anyway!
• That’s not fair! It’s just not right! What’s going on?!
• And yet, what else is there at this point? They made the decision and were ready to take the consequences!
1 Peter 4.12-13 Beloved, do not think it strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened to you; 13 but rejoice to the extent that you partake of Christ’s sufferings, that when His glory is revealed, you may also be glad with exceeding joy.