Summary: The apostle Paul often spoke of fighting. An example of this is in our text (vs. 12). In his next book to Timothy he uses this same language and says, “I have fought a good fight…” (I think Paul loved sports.) 2 Timothy 4:7
Fighting A Good Fight
1. The apostle Paul often spoke of fighting. An example of this is in our text (vs. 12). In his next book to Timothy he uses this same language and says, “I have fought a good fight…” (I think Paul loved sports.) 2 Timothy 4:7
2. Please understand that Paul was not advocating physical violence. We know this because one of the qualifications he laid down to Timothy concerning a leader for Christ is that he be “no striker” and “not a brawler.” 1 Timothy 3:3
3. Our battle today is not against flesh and blood, but against Satan and his evil plan. Just as God has armies of angels, Satan also has an army of fallen angels. Paul calls them “principalities,” “powers,” “rulers of the darkness of this world,” and “spiritual wickedness in high places.” Ephesians 6:12
4. Paul warned the believer that he had better put on the whole armor of God to be able to withstand the tricks and deceptions of Satan. This is the fight we are in. Ephesians 6:11
5. Paul told Timothy to “war a good warfare” and “fight the good fight.”
• Webster’s defines the word “fight” as “to be involved in a battle or a struggle.”
6. If you are saved and know Christ, you are in the battle. The only question is, “How will you fight?”
7. Every believer should fight a good fight spiritually. You should be able to say one day as you are about to leave this earth, “I have fought a good fight. I have been faithful.” Why is this important? Why does this matter?
First, because the Lord is watching. vs. 13
1. Paul makes it clear to Timothy that our Commander is watching.
2. We sometimes forget this simple, yet profound truth. As we live our Christian life and war against Satan, God is watching. He is not distant and removed from us.
3. This simple fact should encourage us and motivate us to fight a good fight.
Second, because of the example of Jesus. vs. 13
1. Jesus Christ stood before the Roman ruler, Pontius Pilate. Jesus could have compromised and escaped the torture and humiliation of the cross, but He stayed faithful.
2. He stood for the truth of God and told Pilate the truth, even though it meant sure death. Jesus stood there and witnessed a good confession. I like the way
Hebrews 12:2 explains it.
3. The writer of Hebrews exhorts the believer to remember the faithfulness of Christ when he or she is tempted to give in, compromise, and quit the fight.
• Christ fought a good fight and went all the way to the cross because He had a purpose. He knew He must make a once-and-for-all payment for our sins. He knew there was no other way that we could have life.
4. Just as the rally cry of those who fought for freedom in Texas was, “Remember the Alamo!” our rally cry is, “Remember Jesus!” Our Commander came to this earth, walked in our shoes, and fought a good fight–He witnessed a good confession before Pilate. He did not cower, back away, or compromise.
5. Paul said in verse 13 that it is God that quickens (makes alive). We have been quickened. We have the very life and Spirit of Jesus Christ living within us to enable us to fight a good fight as He did. Greater is He that is in us! We are more than conquerors through Christ!
Third, because of the return of Jesus Christ. vs. 14-15
1. Paul encourages Timothy not to quit, but to keep fighting. Notice what Paul uses for motivation to Timothy in verse 14, “…until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ.”
2. Paul reminds Timothy that Jesus is returning. He has gone away to heaven, but not for good. He will appear again. He died as a Lamb and went away to heaven as the rejected King.
3. When Christ appears the next time, it will be to take His body (the church) out of this world. This will begin “his times,” as the next verse tells us.
4. “His times” will demonstrate to everybody exactly who He is–“…the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings, and Lord of lords.” vs. 15
5. We may lose a few battles as we fight the good fight here on this earth, but we know exactly who will win the war. We are on the winning side!