Summary: We need to start Checking our Spiritual Tanks
Filling Our Tank With The Spirit" Ephesians 5:15-5:21
What do you do when your gas gauge starts to get low?
• I know this sounds like a pretty simple question
• But when we think about it we really have two options
• First we can stop at the next gas station and get gas
• Or we can try and make it to where we think gas is cheaper
• Now I make a lot of trips back and forth to Lincoln
• And I know from expierience that the gas at the Loves travel Plaza at exit 108
• Is a lot cheaper than gas anywhere around here
• So if I have at least a ¼ tank when I leave Franklin
• That’s where I try and make it to before I stop to get gas
Now most of us have done this at least once
• We either want to save a couple of cents
• Or we don’t want to be inconvieneced by stopping when we are in a hurry to get somewhere
• Or maybe we forgot our wallet or check book
• But for whatever reason we are now on a mission to make it to a certain location
• And we’re driving on fumes.
As we drive we constantly watch the gauge and wonder it we’re gonna make it
• We start thinking about running out of gas and all the problems that go along with it.
• And if we do run out we find ourselves sitting on the edge of the road
• Asking ourselves “Why didn’t I just stop and get gas earlier?”
Now it’s a whole lot simplier today than it used to be
• Ttoday we have things like cell phones, and we can text,
• Not to mention that fuel injection on cars allows them to get a whole lot better gas milage.
But BC that’s before cell phones we were left with 3 choices:
You have to walk to the nearest house and ask for help.
You had to go on a search for a pay phone.
You have to walk to the next station.
And once you had the gas and put it in the tank you had to
• Save some to pour in the carburetor,
• Which meant removing the breather.
• And then hoping it would start before it blew up.
But if you were lucky enough to make it to the filling station
• You were relieved
• And when you got back in the car and starting driving
• You starting getting cocky and thinking to yourself, “I knew I could make it!”
Well this is what sometimes happens to Christians
• People sometimes get just a little too cocky with their Christian life
• And they let their Spritual tanks run low.
Now if you find this happening to you lately
• Then I’m here today to be your gauge
• And to warn you that you better be filling up.
Now The first warning I want to give you this morning is that I’m probobaly gonna step on some toes,
I will probably offend a few people,
And I might even make a few people mad.
I’ve done it before and as God as my witness I know I’ll do it again
But you what, that’s exactly what God wants me to do.
• I’m not saying that God wants me to make people angry
• He just wants me to be their gauge and tell it like it is.
With this being said lets turn to Ephesians 5:15-20
• Now some preachers when they preach use the word you
• They direct their sermons at who they are talking to
• But I would rather say we because when I preach,
• I’m not only talking to you but I want to include myself in this as well
• It’s aimed at me just as much as it is at you
Eph 5:15 So be careful how you live, not as fools but as those who are wise.Eph 5:16 Make the most of every opportunity for doing good in these evil days. Eph 5:17 Don’t act thoughtlessly, but try to understand what the Lord wants you to do. Eph 5:18 Don’t be drunk with wine, because that will ruin your life. Instead, let the Holy Spirit fill and control you. Eph 5:19 Then you will sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs among yourselves, making music to the Lord in your hearts. Eph 5:20 And you will always give thanks for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.
What Paul is doing here is to warn us that we need to be careful how we live.
• Are we living the way God expects us to.